Friday, January 24, 2014

Shaan, Lake Mary

I had lunch at this reboot (different owners) of an Indian restaurant that closed down here a few months ago. I think it was called Darbar. It's near the BK in between the Einstein's and the new branch of Jimmy Hula's. It's run by the people who own Kohinoor in Altamonte. I thought the buffet here was better than the last one I had at the aforementioned. It cost $10. It's a little more than the other two competitor's in the area (apologies to Aroma for listing you as deceased), but, there was more selection and the quality was better (at least to begin with). I tried to try everything for you great people. I skipped the salad (just iceberg) and the Gulab Jamun (little puff ball desserts). I tried the vegetable samosa. It had a lot of flavor (filled with mashed potato). The "skin" was a little over fried. They also tossed in a few slices of potato pakora (fritters). They were fine. I tried a mixed vegetable curry. It was full of fresh gourd vegetables, etc. I tried a cabbage mutter that I believe just means cabbage/peas. Not sure why they use the non-Indian word for cabbage. Maybe it's like Japanese where anything non-indigenous gets the foreign name. It was fine. I tried a spinach curry that was sweet. I tried a mushroom mutter (again English word) that had no umami. I had a piece of Tandoori Chicken. I wasn't raw. I had Chicken Korma (almond and cashew based sauce) and Chicken Makhani or Butter Chicken (tomato cream sauce). The Korma had better quality chicken. The Makhani chicken seemed like that packaged/processed chicken they put on salads (soft and oddly textured). Both sauces were good. I had basmati rice. It was a little over stirred (hairy). I had a piece of Naan and a Papadam (cracker). The Naan was a little "dusty". The Papadam was perfect. I had a great chickpea relish (first timer). I had some rice pudding. I still prefer a "nuttier" rice than basmati for this dish. As you can see, most everything was up to snuff. I even liked (maybe preferred) the veggie dishes. I would be a little concerned that they had not refilled anything by 1pm. However, maybe it was a lack of necessity rather than a revelation of thrift. The place looks the same. Not sure what condition the place was left. They were closed for renovations so something went down. The place was full. It's appeal was cross cultural and sexual and age-ical. A soda adds $2.50 to your bill. They will re-fill. It's a small glass, so, it may be important to know that. The menu runs around "tween" prices for veggie stuff and "mid teens" for innocent little animals. They have chicken, seafood and lamb. There is a new king in town. Not a destination, but, a blessing for the locals. It means "pride".    

4/25/14 - I went back today and they have trimmed the offerings a touch. Still good.

No comments: