Saturday, January 18, 2014

Pub Crawl - UCF Area: Sushi Pop, Culpepper's (Closed) and The Library

I had dinner and drinks at these places around UCF last Saturday.

Sushi Pop - This place came with great fanfare and I just didn't think it lived up to the hype. To start with, they didn't have any of the "funky" creativity I was anticipating. Adding sea salt to sashimi isn't inventive. It's crudo. I had one of those salmon belly "crudos" that they call a nigiri special for $6. It just seemed like a normal piece of salmon to me. The yellowtail (I think was regular sashimi) cost $9. Now that I look at the receipt, I hope it was a forgettable special because I think the menu said sashimi was the the same price as sushi and that was only $6 on the menu. In any event it was evidently unremarkable. The conch sushi for $5 (2p) was good. Crunchy. The scallop sushi (2p) was $6. It was fishy and soft. The rice was also soft and too vinegary. The cuts were small. The menu (especially sushi) was tiny. They were out of sea urchin. I sat in front of the guys making the sushi. One guy couldn't even cut the roll into equal pieces. It just seemed "average" to me. The place is small. It has a "manga" feel. They even had anime on the TV. They are only open for dinner and not on Mondays. It's fine as a "typical" Japanese restaurant, but, not in the top ten and not worth a special trip. It's on Red Bug before 434.

Culpepper's - This is a franchise wannabe from the sex boat alumnus from UCF. He has created a me-too menu of American classics in a sports themed (his junk from the garage) venue. Nothing will surprise you. I had a beer. The place was almost empty at 9pm. It's on University.

The Library - $7 gets you free beer and anti-freeze until 12am. It was packed at 10pm. I wasn't sure if it would still be since they moved to make way for jail cells - I mean dorm rooms. It's on University now. At 12am the rapists from the high density housing behind the bar started showing up. Didn't want to see which hayseed had drunk her way into a gang rape.

No comments: