Friday, January 25, 2013

Tabla, Universal

I had the lunch buffet at this Indian restaurant (which means a small bongo-like drum) across from the Kirkman entrance (a street called Major Blvd) to Universal on Wednesday. Incidentally there is a large parking lot for a Visitor's Bureau on that street that may allow you to avoid the Universal parking fee (especially galling if you are just going to eat or shop). Check for tow away signs. I only drove past it and couldn't see if it was patrolled. It was mostly empty.

I am not going to critique the buffet too thoroughly because I don't think it represents what the potential of this place may be. I say "potential" because I only experienced a small sample size of what seems to be a very expansive menu. The buffet had two chicken dishes (a tikka masala and a wing and drumstick tandoori). The tikka pieces seemed like they had the red marks made by a tandoori (not usual). I wouldn't be too surprised if the buffet dish was made from leftovers. The tandoori was ok. At least it wasn't undercooked like it habitually is elsewhere. There was a goat stew. Mostly bones. There was a paneer (cheese) dish and three veggie stews. There was some salad (basic and feeble). They had a Chicken Biryani (fried rice) that had many seeds and bone fragments in it (probably also used leftover chicken). They served Medu Veda (fried donut balls) and some sort of ball made of grain and served cold in a yogurt sauce. Rice. The buffet was $8. Not the best Indian buffet bargain in the greater CF area, but, fair. They did jack me for $3 for a soda though. It's funny. They give you $3 worth of Naan that you don't ask for, but, they have to grab that extra buck or buck and a half out of you for 2 cents worth of sugar concentrate.

The place is drab, old and worn. It's is situated next to a Day's Inn and must have been some kind of banquet hall before hand. They have tried to Indianize it with decorations, but, it still looks like it is more conducive to an Elk's meeting than an Indian dinner. It doesn't help that there is a place selling tchokes right across the hall. They have some booths underneath the windowed side of the room. The opposite side of the room has a TV and a bar and the entryway to the kitchen. There is a private room in the rear. It seats about 60. There were maybe six others (mostly Indian) buffeting while I was there. The service (1) was ok. I didn't get a refill on my $3 Coke until I was almost finished my meal. If I went back, I would go for an ala carte meal. The prices were reasonable ($11-$18 for entrees) and the selection vast. This place is (potentially) all about the food. The things I had were probably a bad representation and still were tasty. I've read where they get the "best of" Indian cooking labels in some publications. That and my conditional approval may make you give it a try when the winds steer you towards Universal.

No comments: