Wednesday, January 30, 2013

La Fonda, Longwood

I had dinner to go at this Mexican restaurant (which means inn or in slang - food stall) near Ali Baba on 434 yesterday. I had Enchiladas Rancheras for $6. It was two cheese enchiladas topped with pork, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and a sauce. It came with guacamole salad (shredded lettuce and tomatoes) and chips. It was very good. The pork was plentiful and looked like pieces of brisket. The cheese they used was great. The sauce was flavorful and came with a side of hot salsa which was most likely for the chips, but, worked on the main plate. The guacamole was fresh and excellent. As were the chips. I was very impressed by the food. I was a little scared when I entered (the old sushi place Sushin) and saw only three other customers (it was also empty on a Saturday when I passed by a few weeks ago) and that they hadn't really done much with the place (I'll get to that soon). However, looks can be deceiving and I was deceived. I would expect the rest of the menu to be well prepared. It's a smal menu based on Guadalajaran recipes. They get as ambitious as offering ceviche and shrimp cocktail, but, it's tacos (a few of the nasty good kind), tamales, enchiladas, huaraches, sopes, chimichangas, quesadillas, burritos, fajitas, huevos, etc. They have a really reasonable lunch menu. The place seats about 50. They added some Mexican style furniture up front. The sushi bar area still has a bamboo overhang and the Japanese white paper above it. I would at least cover the paper. They did put some cute, clay vases on the right wall. I recommend that you try it if you are nearby. Try not to sing Doing the Jane Fonda in your head while you're there. I wish we had a small, authentic Mexican spot like this in my town.

No comments: