Friday, January 11, 2013

Casa Linda, UCF

I had lunch at this Cuban/Mexican (they said they are dropping the Mexican) restaurant on N. Alafaya and 50 before Christmas. I had two eggs with ham and pressed Cuban bread for around $4 and a shredded beef taco for around $2. The eggs were sunny side up instead of over easy. They had a large layer of clear mucous from under cooking. The ham was that disgusting Hispanic ham that is way too salty. The bread was the best thing on the plate. The taco was just as bad. They just threw some, what I deduced must have been, Ropa Vieja on a raw tortilla. The good points about the spot were the service and the condition of the place. It seems new. I'd bet it was a Mexican place before this that some Cubans released. I think they care about the food quality and I just ordered the two things you shouldn't if you don't like certain ingredients or cooking methods or items that require translation. If that is what Cuban ham is going to taste like then I should avoid it. If the place has Cuban owners, I should avoid the Mexican food (especially if they tell you they are discontinuing it). If I am worried about a language barrier I shouldn't order something in slang. However, if they do keep it on the menu then they should do it right. Don't use Ropa for Mexican flavored beef and steam or grill the tortilla. And I think I set them right on what the difference is between over easy and sunny side up so hopefully that is sorted (as the English say). Lastly, the prices are ridiculously reasonable. I'm talking fast food comparable. I wouldn't make a trip to find them, but, it offers good value for people who live in the area. It seats about forty.

No comments: