Friday, January 18, 2013

B & B Junction, Winter Park - Closed

I ordered takeout for dinner (I tried some before it got cold) at this burger joint in the old 4 Rivers location on Wednesday. I had a burger with ghost chili cheese, roasted poblano-bacon jam, siracha aioli and arugula for $9 and portobello fries with a herb-cucumber yogurt dressing for $3. The fries were great. Maybe one of the best new, original things I've had all year. They (10) had a perfect, crisp batter. The mushrooms retained all their flavor. Great. The dip did become a little tedious. The burger was probably a mistake. That is too much heat not to ruin any meal. I did peal away some beef to see if it had any flavor and it didn't. The slight overcooking didn't help, but, I think the mix may be too lean. There was no juice or flavor. I'm not sure if freezing or spatula pressure drained this bad boy of life, but, it could have been tofu. On the plus side it came on a brioche bun that didn't fall apart and was large enough to encase the burger. They have eight variations of burgers, wings, snacks, soup, sides, salad and grilled cheeses. They have done next to nothing to the old place (added some corrugated metal to the ceiling). That is perfectly alright with me. I was depressed when they closed this spot down. I always liked its re-purposed charm. Now it's a higher priced Burger Fi. They have similar offerings. This place is a little more gutsy and the burgers are bigger. Who knows they may price out the same if you do a weight by weight comparison. They are the sum of all contemporary gastronomic trends. It's a gourmet, fusion, kitsch burger place that sources organic, gimmick ingredients from small farmers (locally if possible) and crafts people and serves it (self serve) in faux-historical setting. It's just missing a douche bag, celebrity chef. All that said, I'm so glad they took over this spot. I am waiting to see if the burger quality is as disappointing on my second visit, but if it isn't, I will be here alot. I also like the fact that they have beer and wine.

No comments: