Monday, February 8, 2016

Antonella's Pizzeria, Winter Park

I grabbed dinner to go at this Italian restaurant on Saturday. It opened recently. I believe it is the daughter and son in law of Stephano What's His Name. I reviewed his place a couple of months ago. Well, I liked this more casual place alot better. They took over the Pi Hole space on Fairbanks across from Keke's. It looks similar inside. Maybe some new photos and knick knacks. I went in for a pizza and came out with a slice and a mambo combo. The slice was $2.25 and the combo was $11. The combo consisted of manicotti (shouldn't one be manicotto?), a meatball, chicken parmigiana and bread. All were delish. The meatball was huge and better than the one I had at Stephano's. The manicotti's ricotta was nice. The pasta was good. The chicken was unbelievable. Huge. An inch thick and shoe sized. All this was covered with a quality mozzarella and a very basic, fresh tomato sauce that may have had a little oregano and garlic. The sweetness comes from the tomatoes themselves, I think. When I got home, I took a bite to sample before I had to warm it, if I had to warm it. Then I took a second. Then I had a talk with myself. Then I waited. It took so much will power. And I had already eaten. It was one of the afternoons where you kept looking up from the TV or book to see if it was dinner time yet. Is 5 pm dinner time? It was on Saturday because I couldn't stand it anymore. I even like the bread. Ate so much, I had to cancel my night's festivities because I looked preggers. The slice was the only disappointment. which is funny because that is all I've been hearing about and what I came in for. A fresh pie may be better. I think this slice (small) was at least a day old. The crust was stale. Otherwise, it seemed ok. A little thick. The cheese tasted too nutty when it was hot, but, the flavor weakened as it cooled. They have a medium sized menu. Say three or four of the same (popular) recipes spread across meats/seafood/veg. Calzones, stromboli, snacks, heroes, pasta, etc. They have alot of lunch specials. Pricing is good. Seating is limited (16) and I think they want you to order out. It's way better than what was there before and I would take it over Stephano's if I was picking sides.

No comments: