Friday, February 5, 2016

Grub Crawl - Downtown: North Quarter Tavern (Closed) and Coffee Culture Cafe and Eatery

I went to these two fairly new spots on the north side of 50 on N. Orange Ave at lunch on Wednesday. They are calling the area North Quarter. I was worried about finding available parking (free). It wasn't an issue. I guess all those condo dwellers are at work at that time.

North Quarter Tavern - I had their fried chicken entree with potato salad for $15. It may be the best fried chicken I've ever had. I don't mean in Orlando. I don't mean for thighs. I mean anywhere ever. I've been to almost every place on Triple D and then some. I've had it honey dipped, hot peppered, broasted, double fried, Cap'n  Crunched, rice floured, corn flaked, panko crusted, gluten free, - you get the picture. And it didn't take much. The recipe was basic. The execution was marvelous. I don't want to make too much of this because maybe it was a fluke. You try and tell me. My order had two nice sized thighs (not my favorite part) that seemed like they had a good pedigree. They flour them - bathe them in buttermilk - flour again and fry. No double fry even. They discard the skin (and bones). They came out moist but not rare (chewy/slimy). The crust had volume, stuck well (oil at right temp) and was crisp and not burnt or oily. No oil odors. The "batter" had just a pinch of salt and black pepper. The potato salad was also top notch. Nice tiny red potatoes with mayo, fat slabs of bacon and maybe a tad too much Dijon mustard. A big pile. They presented the meal on a wood carving board with pickles (sweetish) and pickled jalapenos. Both pickled items added a little zing when the other elements became too rich. A nice palette cleanser. The place looks great. High ceilings. Lots of windows. Outdoor patio. The inside is painted red and some gray tone with black ceilings. There is wood and white tile splashed around. The bar dominates the center of the room. They have flat screens. The tables are mix of high tops and regulars. They have black and white photos of our city in frames. It seats about sixty. They have a separate bar that opens at 7pm. Service was fine. A little bare bones at two (the amount and the time). The menu is familiar, yet, inventive. Neo-pub stuff like brats, meatloaf, burgers, steak frites. They have a chef de cuisine and executive chef. I was told they actually show and even show for lunch. They have been open since July (I think). The owner is/was partners at Citrus, etc. He must have been the soul. This place is everything that stupid Two Chefs or whatever they call themselves promised they would be. I'm at half chub for this place. The only problem is they aren't open for lunch on Saturday.

Coffee Culture - I grabbed a turkey sandwich to go at this Canadian chain that is next to NQT. I was worried that Black Rooster would still be closed (it was) and I didn't feel like cooking dinner. Plus I needed to tell you good people (all three of you) about it. It's like a Panera. Sweets, coffee, sandwiches. The Sierra Turkey sandwich cost $7. Do they speak Spanish? Do they know it means "mountain range"? What they hell does that have to do with turkeys? Do Canadian turkeys live in the Rockies? It was ok. Two thickish slices of turkey that has somehow just gotten out of the bath. Slices of a good, racquetball sized tomato not 80% seeds and water. Ok lettuce. The bread was foccacia like. I had cheese on it. They pressed it. The place is large. High ceilings. Forgettable interior. They said the franchisee is fielding offers if you want to buy it. They don't take Amex.

No comments: