Monday, February 15, 2016

Boondocks, Wilbur By The Sea

I tried this seafood shack on the intercoastal (S. Peninsula Dr) for lunch on Tuesday. You take 95 to 421 (Dunlawton) across the bridge and hang a right onto Atlantic Ave then a right onto Marcell about a mile down. It bears to the left at the water. I went because it was on that regional list in the Sentinel. It was ok. Nothing special. It's like many of our blue collar tourist traps. I mean what will it take to salvage this genre. I've seen them resurrect bbq, cupcakes, coffee, Mexican, Asian, tubed meat, beer and many other food categories. Can't the chefs of America do something with the dockside seafood shanty? I'm embarrassed to be a Floridian (hell an American) while these places are the best we offer. It's an insult to the seafood we murder. This place was ok for the company it keeps - as I said. I had a special of fried shrimp and clams for $9. It came with over salted and over bay seasoned fries. The clams were the usual frozen blend. The shrimp probably was too, but, they weren't the most suspicious I've ever had. They weren't oily. I think that was more of a result of them being batch fried and left under a heat lamp. They came out in thirty seconds. The price was way lower than these items on their own for some reason. They usually run $14 and $16. The whole menu is really two times what it's worth if not more. I'll say 50% because all seafood places are delusional. They have the typical land food. Seafood is mainly crustaceans and crap fish. Their "special" was kasa (sp). It's worst than talapia or whiting. Highest profit margin. Service was good. It seats about sixty. It's in a plastic tent. One side is a bar. They have a patio. It's in a small "marina".

No comments: