Friday, February 26, 2016

La Calle, OIA

I grabbed dinner to go at this Puerto Rican restaurant on 436 on Monday. It is in the strip mall that is the second from the airport. I think Publix (not Walmart) is the main tenant. The menu seemed better than what they served me. I had limited time and free hands, so, I just had a Pernil con Barbacoa sandwich for $7. It wasn't good. To start with, the owner/cook coughed right in it. She was moving slower than a lazy healthy person could, so, I assume she dragged herself off her sick bed to keep the gears moving. That is admirable up until the point that you infect all your customers. I was getting on a plane, so, I figured I was doomed anyway. It turned out that either I'm "Zika free" since 2003 or she wasn't that contagious. The pork was like the worst dark meat leftovers from Thanksgiving that your mother pawns off on you while you are getting into the car to leave. Slimy, undercooked, membrane coated, tough pork. Obviously not cooked long enough. Straight out of the buffet display. Gross. I had to pry apart the flesh with my hands. It was too much work for my teeth on their own. It came with purple cabbage slaw and an isipid, store bought barbeque sauce. She pressed it. Took another ten minutes. The roll was the best part. It's a shame because she had some interesting items. Mofongo in a pot pie like pastry cup. Can Can pork chop. They have been open for around a year. The space is small. It is decorated in a feminine way.

No comments: