Monday, February 8, 2016

Market on South, Milk District

I went to this Vegetarian restaurant for lunch on Saturday. I believe it has been open for just four months. It is on the edge of the Milk District at South St (aside the 408) and in between Primrose and the street at the edge of the private airport. South St runs one way, so, make sure you hit it east enough. I had a Georgia Peach Sloppy Joe because Edible magazine said it was good and I thought it sounded fun. It cost $11. They write on the menu that it is made with their "special meat" or something to that effect. I guess that means tempeh or tofu. I'm not sure how they differ. The sandwich had so much bbq sauce that I can only guess that the "meat" was fried in some way. It tasted crunchy. The sauce was very sweet/cloying. The peach was almost non-existent. There was alot of sauteed onions. The bun was good. It was a huge portion. It came with a side. I chose potato salad. The potatoes weren't cooked long enough. It came in a cute glass. The sandwich came on a metal try. This had to be a fat bomb. This and the "hybrid engine" type pricing always makes me laugh at vegans. Wait until you see what I got at Antonellas for the same price. And that meal was probably healthier if you can believe it. They have enough options so you could (barely) have a different option each day of the week. Things like a tofu LT, fried (again) green tomatoes with eggplant, kale salad, etc. They partner with Valhalla Bakery for more "healthy" alternatives. It's a cute place. It seats about thirty outside and thirty inside. It looks like a house that became a grocery store that is now a restaurant. It's rustic. They have a mural on the back wall. They "rent" (floor) space for end cap type displays of artisan crap. I'm not a woman with body and Daddy issues or a member of the proletariat or gay or oppressed or hypochondratical or too sensitive for my own good, so, I guess I'll never get veganism. I'll just have to wait for a health related problem that I think can be solved dietetically before I join the cult. However, it is a cute place and at least they are trying to make the food appealing. Just remember it ain't healthy. It was packed on a rainy day. Parking was no problem.

No comments: