Friday, February 26, 2016

Grub/Pub Crawl - Mills Ave: Black Rooster Taqueria, Guesthouse and Thirsty Topher

I went to these place last Friday night. The first two adjoin near Virginia across from Pig Floyd. The last is down towards the train tracks on Virginia.

Black Rooster Taqueria - They finally opened either the Tuesday before this or the Tuesday before that. Local fish wrap have had them opening ever since the Spring. I had the guacamole for $6 and a meatball sopes for $3 and an achiote pork soft taco for $4. The guacamole was freshly made to order and had a perfect chip to dip ratio. The chips were fresh too. The sopes was excellent. A mix of beef and pork with beans and a nice mole. The taco was good. I know it is weird coming from me, but, I thought it could use some/any salt. The place is small. You order and fight for a seat and they bring it to you. It was jammed. The menu is small. What I ordered plus a shrimp ceviche, four other tacos, two salads and two bowls. That's it. Not sure if they are starting small until they get into a groove or if this is all it is going to be. It's ok. Alot of competition in this food space. I didn't think we needed it when I heard about it and I'm still not sold. Not because they don't measure up. Because there is saturation.

Guesthouse - This is a little bar next door. I think it has been open for five months. The center is all bar. It has a Spartan sophisticated feel. Part mixology nonsense, part craft brew, part lounge. It had a clean crowd that was diverse in almost all the ways that can be. It's a pleasant boite. I'm not sure, but, the space may have been some kind of dark, comfy bar before this. I always get confused by the layout on Mills.

Thirsty Topher - Like the Irish girlfriend in Caddyshack, "Iams told" that they just moved here from down the street. It's a little craft brew bar with a back patio. It's kind of like Celery City in Sanford. Maybe that's just because they have the same video menu that hides the prices from you. I think it is a Rollins favorite. The crowd had some groups (why always in fours) that could have fit that description and older folk. They had a food truck selling pizza outside. Look for the marshmellow pie. I don't get why there is a buzz about it, but, I don't have any complaints about it either. Other than the complaint I have for all three of these places - lack of parking.

No comments: