Monday, September 3, 2018

Grub Crawl - Audubon Park: Redlight Redlight, Bangrak and Bem Bom (Closed)

I went to these places last night. I was just going to try what Redlight is brewing and then I was talked into the pop up and then learned that Bem Bom had finally opened.

Redlight Redlight - I had an IPA. It was good. They even discounted it because it was pouring slowly. $4 happy hour price.

Bangrak - People were jizzing so much over the food that I had to try it. It helped that it is from the Chiang Mai region of Thailand and I have had no conscious knowledge of sampling that cuisine. I had Khao Soi Neva (noodles in a red curry broth with beef) for $13. It wasn't worth half of that. The noodles were chewy (that was a compliment) and the curry was ok. Only three nuggets of beef. And it wasn't overpoweringly good. They also sold three other dishes (tofu, pork shoulder and shrimp and egg in glass noodles). I think they are there alot.

Bem Bom - Here is why you need to read this article. The two year wait is over. It's a tiny place next to the East End Market. An old bank. You can still see the vault. They serve a bizarre Portuguese and Mexican menu. I went with half chicken in peri peri sauce ($12) because it was the most Portuguese and that was what I was expecting. The rest of the menu is mostly Mexican. It is listed under some name, but, I forget it and it's not on my receipt. It was surprisingly good. It was taking so long that I figured the whole night would be a disaster. I was wrong. The chicken was cooked beautifully (on the rare/moist side). It had good flavor. The sauce was nice and the presentation was unique. They give you a little paint brush and "inkwell" to baste the chicken to your liking. It came with fries and a salad. The fries were crisp. The salad was interesting. Not just greens. It was a melange. Hard to describe. Everything was mixed together. Like I said, the food took a while to get to me. But, the main hostess/waitress helped by being proactive. The owner also came over to see if I was enjoying myself. The place is tiny inside (30). It looks cool though. Antique looking colored lights. Tiled wall splashes. Open kitchen. They added patio seats to what I guess was just supposed to be the day time walk up area. That doubled the seating. It was about half full. They were playing Portuguese music. It was a romantic setting. It all coalesced into an enjoyable evening and a nice first impression. Pricing was fair. The menu is eclectic. I will definitely be back. BTW bem bom means good good.

*I want t thank the I-4 Ultimate for murdering more drivers and causing traffic jams. There was a big wreck this night and one going west the day before. Love getting out on those open roads. Maybe if you consider it has to affect the economy, you will do something about it? Can we have a list and photos of those in charge of this tremendous boondoggle?


No comments: