Thursday, September 27, 2018

Wa Sushi, Casselberry - Moved to 436

I wasn't full from breakfast at Sourdough, so, I got something (lunch) to go at this highly regarded sushi restaurant in the middle of nowhere. It was on my drive home, so, I decided to knock it off the list. I had a rice-less spicy tuna kobachi and a wasabi octopus special. I'm not sure if they forgot the rice or if they do it that way, but, the tuna chunks were fresh. Firm. No cartilage. Decent portion. A bit expensive at $14. I kind of only ordered it so I could make a comment on how this is the original poke. That's what I think. I haven't looked it up, so, maybe they stole it from the Hawaiians. However, that seems less likely. The octopus was fresh (slimy). It was raw octopus in a wasabi sauce. Pretty good. It cost $5. They serve fresh fish. Some from Tsukiji market in Tokyo. They have the usual suspects plus some exotic (seasonal) options. Pricing was on par with mediocre sushi places (who think they are good). Salmon was $2.50 a piece. Tuna was $3. They do rolls. They have lunch specials. They have some hot dishes. Udon and soba. 20 Japanese beers. 10 sakes. The place seats about 60. The color scheme was gray walls and floor (tile) and black ceiling and chairs. The tables are wood. They also sell Japanese grocery products near the register. I'll be back to do it right. I wish it was closer. I'd probably have it in the weekly rotation. They have been open for three years. It in a strip mall at 1285 Seminola Blvd. That is the road that intersects with 17-92 at the "dog track" road. I think it intersects with Tuskawilla on the other side. A hidden gem. Closed on Tuesday.

*2/22/2019 - I went back for dinner and almost dropped a C note (with alcohol). I had blue fin, uni, conch, salmon, surf clam, whelk, yellowtail and some others I forget the English name of (ainame, kuro soi, and madai). I even tested there regular tuna in a tuna roll. Most everything was great. The rice seemed to come apart a little too easily and the cuts were small. But, mostly what I was hoping for. I would suggest you avoid the "special" soy sauce and fresh wasabi. They charge for both and may not make you aware of that.

No comments: