Sunday, September 2, 2018

Grub Crawl - College Park: Mr Worldwide Famous and Taritine (Closed)

I went to these places on Edgewater Dr at lunch on Friday. The first is located in the Cavanaugh wine (Digress) parking lot. The other is to the north of Princeton.

Mr Worldwide Famous - They opened a month ago. In from outside of New Orleans. Po boys and platters. Shrimp. gator, whiting, red fish and lobster that day. They had red snapper recently. I had the gator po boy for $12 ($1 soda). I wasn't planning on eating here. Just seeing if Digress had metamorphasized yet. They hadn't. will take until late Fall. The gator was very good. Maybe the best I've had. Plentiful. Corn bread batter. Slightly spicy. The cook said you have to cook gator longer than the other things. But, not to long or it gets chewy again. Glad to see he had a plan. They (father and son) get the gator from Titusville. The bun was also appropriate. The veg were good enough. It was supposed to be dinner, but, I couldn't help picking on it on the way to the planned lunch. *They (Cavanaugh/Digress) also have a food truck here called Smoke & Donuts. It serves donuts and bbq. It wasn't open. I think they are going to be the cooks when it turns into Digress.

Tartine - I already stated my displeasure at there Monday and Tuesday closures. I was ready to eviscerate them. Maybe even just get something cheap to go. I'm so glad I counted to ten and put down my gator. It was great. The chef is from the Bordeaux region. They bake all the bread for Croissant Gourmet. The menu was fun, representative and manageable. I went with the coq au vin. It was an odd preparation, but, very good. The chicken wasn't "pieces". It was a boiled roulade of sorts. Not abounding with flavor, but, interesting. The real stars were the mashed potatoes (another non-traditional element) and the jus. The mp were buttery and succulent. The jus was red wine based . Nice flavor. They also added brussel sprouts (not usual) and pearl onions. It cost $15. They provided me with complimentary bread and a tasty basil salted butter. They do the tartines and beef bourgignon and chicken normandy and salads and soups and a few other things (like breakfast). The tartines were piled high with ingredients. They came in twos. Like open faced sandwiches. The wine list was interesting and not laid out by the local wholesaler. Some diversity on the wines by the glass. Mostly French by the bottle. They have some beer too. I'd avoid the $3.50 tiny euro bottles of soda. They also serve a few pastries. They gave me a croissant filled with butter cream and it was good. The place looks nice. I recall black counter tops and a map (in chalk) of France. Lots of windows. A seated bar area and a few tables. It's not very big. Service was engaging. I think I heard every table gushing about their food. Prices are reasonable. The waiter said they have been open for six months. I think it's less than that. It was his first day, so, maybe he was wrong. I'd like to think I didn't let this slip under the radar for that long. They will be on the Favorites list. with all the French closures, it's good to get a quality one back in the rotation.

No comments: