Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Grub Crawl - Mills/50/Audubon Park: Bites and Bubbles (Moved), Poke Hana and Farm & Haus

Yesterday, at lunch, I went to these places north of downtown. The first is in a much turned over spot on Mills (near the Crawfish place). The second is aside Mamak on 50 (near Mills). The third is in the back of the East End Market on Corrine in Audubon Park.

Bites & Bubbles - I've avoided this because I think I've been sucked into this eddy three times in the past year. That and the unimaginative moniker. The next to give it a whirl is the property's owner. He envisions a swanky supper club (I'm assuming) with wine and caviar (read about it but didn't see it) and French cuisine. I experienced an empty restaurant with one foot stuck in the past. I'm not against this. I just hope it is intentional. I'm not sure what was older. The recipes or the music emanating from the sound system. They are doing things like raclette and bananas foster(french toast) and monier sauce. *I checked on the last and some hits came up on the search engine. I thought it was a misspelling of meuniere, and maybe it is. I didn't click through to see what it was. Like I said, I'm not against it. I was kind of hoping to try the raclette (not offered at lunch). But, I'm atypical to begin with and I don't think it is "old is new again". I think it is "old is still old". That's the vibe I felt. It felt more Ian McKellen than Ian Sommerfeld. And that reference is an assumption. My waitress seemed to be a trans man. The chef seemed gay. Not that there is anything wrong with that (and that). I'm trying to put all the evidence in place and what I am extrapolating form it is that this place is intended to be a gayer Maxine's On Shine. In any case, let's leave that be and I'll return to the food. I had a crab cake sandwich for $14. It came on a croissant that I swear tasted of cheese. French fries were an extra $2. They seemed hand cut and were almost crisp. It came with some pickle slices and gherkins. I guess it's not good news when I say i liked the gherkins the best. Crab cakes always seem to disappoint. It didn't help that they use the cheaper crab meat (claw) . I've had worse. It came on a wood cutting board. I've seen reports where they say wood is hard to clean. so, those don't thrill me when I see them. Service was fine. I believe she said she was the owners sister. She was the only employee. The rest of the menu was a burger, a chicken salad sandwich, some expenisve breakfasts and a few other unmemorable items. They have oysters too. A few more intricate dishes at supper. But, it mostly a small bites menu. And most of the bites cost as much as the "meals". I really didn't like that they charged $4 for a soda. Full of ice. No refill. Flat. Poorly mixing syrup. I'm not anymore encouraged by this iteration than all the other failures. They have been open ten weeks and I will predict that that is the half way point. I have often thought that they (all the aspirants) should close the lunch down. I've never seen customers at that time. But, they say they close at 10pm. I can't imagine that their traffic ends at that time. That is unless you are attracting Ian McKellans. The wine list was thought through. 3 to 4 times mark up over retail though. Be ready for a specific kind of evening id you visit here. And I don't see it as a lunch place. Maybe Sunday brunch. *Moved down the street to condo complex.

Poke Hana - They sell poke (and sliders). 5 styles. 4 or so fish. Plus tofu. I had the Maui style with yellowtail for $13. I'm not sure if I received the real McCoy because I was telling them what I wanted in it, but, I was pleased with the result. The yellowtail was fresh. Nice sized cubes. enough. They didn't mix the soy into the rice. I hate it when they do that. The rice was properly cooked. They topped it with some seaweed salad and cucumber salad and some edamame. Served in a recycled paper bowl. They have had their sign observable for many months, so, I was happy when I found out that they finally opened last Wednesday, The place looks modern. Alot of white. Hawaiian decor. Order at the counter. No complaints.

Farm & Haus - It's a little stall that serves mostly breakfast and lunch fare. I tried for a cold zucchini soup because it was the cheapest and I wasn't excited about this experience to begin with. They were out, but, let me order what I wanted at that price. I went with a Whole Burrito (usually $10). It was good. It was composed of chicken, chorizo, black beans, sweet potatoes, avocado and queso fresco. I would do without the sweet potatoes myself. I saw a noodle bowl and a salad being prepared before my dish. Nothing to write home about. They had two awards from some local tabloid framed and on the wall. I don't see who is coming here before work for breakfast (and then voting for them,) but, I guess it's more than the competition gets. If it isn't Russian hackers. I just see what the fuss is about. Not bad, but, not exactly exerting themselves either.

No comments: