Saturday, September 29, 2018

Grub Crawl - Parramore: Jesse's Rib Shack (Closed) and Bulgogi House

I tried this two fairly new restaurants, within walking distance of each other on 50 just west of I-4, yesterday at lunch. The odd thing is that both sites have held the other type of cuisine at some point in the past.

Jesse's Rib Shack - Jesse is not a friend. Nor has he always been a good friend of mine. He serves small portions or mis-priced, amateurishly cooked, backyard bbq. I tried the rib and chicken plate. No sides. Some lame white bread. The ribs (3) tasted like pork chops. I don't think they used a smoker. They tasted steamed. Either they baste too often or they inject the ribs with fluid. In either case they have a boiled/steamed texture and taste. No bark. No liquified fat. Hardly "fall off the bone". The meat (what there is of it) clings on for dear life. You have to use your teeth to rip it away. I'm not sure if they are going for a Carolina style (and if that is not smoked - I forget - I think not), but, the sauce was tangy. One rib had no meat. One had some. One had what you'd expect/ The chicken was no better. Maybe worse. It was a portion of a tiny quarter piece. It was smoked. I'm not a fan of that. The meat always seems under cooked and rubbery. The smoke flavor doesn't help. The combo cost $12. Too much for this environment and probably even more costly than better bbq places. I initially was scared of the prospect of coming here. It looked like a half ass attempt and I have suffered through other half ass attempts in the area. However, the place looked clean inside and they finally had a sign. And when they said they had been in business for years and were friendly, I held out hope. Nope on the hope. Maybe at one point this might have passed muster (probably not). Not anymore. Bbq is now a refined art. They are cooking like they have a "World's Best Chef" apron. I don't want to think how awful the seafood is. Probably fried frozen dreck. Too bad. We can always use more bbq. Bad value and worse execution. They have been in this spot (that was once a vegetarian Korean place if I remember correctly) for three months. They moved from around the Citrus Bowl. The inside is all brick. Avoid.

Bulgogi House - They are just after the 7-11. It was a Mexican Korean place right before this. Now it is mainly a cook at your table spot. No connection with the old owners. You can do a full, all you can eat experience for $30 or a more limited one for $20. You get two hours. Around a dozen options at full price. Half  a dozen at the lower price. The meats looked fresh. I had one of the six or so "set" dishes. I had the beef bulgogi dup bap for $13. It was one of the better ones I've ever had. Primarily because they slice the beef so thin. I usually hate this dish because the meat is so inferior. Grisly. Tough. Cheap. Slicing it thin makes all the difference and adds some sophistication to the prep. Something I often find lacking in Korean dishes, They didn't over sauce either. There was alot of meat. The rice was mushy. However, that could be because it sat in a container until dinner. They also provided some bin chon. An odd mix. Macaroni salad. Tomato and onion salad. Broccoli. Kim Chi. And some pickled root vegetable (maybe burdock). The other dishes were two other dup bap and two soups and one stew. It was a three person operation. More people than I expected had found this place out. The interior was bare bones and messy. Tables weren't cleared. Tables were being used as prep stations. But, it was better than I expected and I might go back to try the all you can eat. They have been open since February. They have parking in the back.

No comments: