Thursday, September 6, 2018

Grub Crawl - New Smyrna Beach: The Half Wall Brewery, Mango Tango, Da Kine Poke and Panhead's Pizzeria

I went to these places on Wednesday. The first one is on 44 before you cross the bridge to the beach. The next two are on Flagler Ave in town. The last is in that older area between the two (near US 1).

The Half Wall Brewery - I was set to try them before the hurricane last fall. That put a stop to that. It has taken this long for me to find my way back. They are located at a spot after the Harley dealership that once housed a similar restaurant called something 44. Now this is a place that brews in house, has food and drinks and show sports. I had their IPA. They brew four styles. It was average. Malty. The hops acted as a mint after a smoke. A masking agent. That cost $6.50. They have a large selection of drafts and bottles. They do flights of other beers, but, not one of their own. Odd. I should have gone with the burgers I smelled in the air, but, I knew they were on the menu for later in the week. I saw a few and they looked good. I went wit a half rack or ribs because I had seen that Reichlen guy on PBS cooking up ribs on a rotisserie the night before. These St. Louis style ribs were small (5 bones), fatty and cold. They came with medium sized battered fries and cole slaw. I usually don't like battered fries. This larger shape was more conducive to the curious preparation. The cole slaw tasted like fish. I hope it wasn't caused by the wrong kind of snapper. Stopped after a bite (load?). The menu is what you would expect and a dash more. They have pork schnitzel sandwiches and pasta. Some seafood. The place is huge. It can seat at least eighty in the front section and eighty in the back. The have a huge patio (misters) and two private rooms. It has a wood cabin feel with HIGH ceilings. Retention pond/lake out back. Mosquito issue? Service was fine. They have been open for a year. It was filling up. They seemed like locals.

Mango Tango Dessert Bar - This is a frozen ice cream/yogurt shop. I grabbed a little pomegranate/cranberry sorbet because I had to have something to knock this off the list and I was parched from hours in the sun. It was like it is everywhere else. It's a clone. You get the deal. They opened eighteen months ago.

Da Kine -Poke - A few stores away is the latest in this four location chain. They opened in June. it replaced some little restaurant. I think some guys name and something about "surf". I had the ahi poke. The tuna was fresh. The rice was cooked properly. I f upped the add ins, but, that is my fault. Should have known mango and sesame oil wouldn't play well. Wanted to get some value for my money. It cost $13. A little annoying because I had 60 pieces (that's right) of sushi at Koy Wan the day before for less than that. The place looks nice. They are open all afternoon. Unlike alot of places.

Panhead's Pizzeria - I couldn't remember if I had knocked this off yet. I think not. I had a personal cheese pizza to go for $6 and their meatballs marinara with foccacia to go for $8. The pizza is a square pan pizza. It tasted like whatever spray the prep the pan with. The crust (the majority) had no flavor. They didn't spread the cheese well enough. It "puddled" in the middle. This made that area soggy. Parts of the dough or cheese formed a "sand" under the cheese in that area. Like tiny cottage cheese curds. It could be better. I didn't like the one meatball I ate yesterday. But, I nuked them tonight and added spaghetti and they suddenly had flavor and texture. I think they add crumbs, cheese and onion to the balls. The marinara was nice. Tomato and basil. Some parmesan cheese on top. The balls were shaped like a medium sized egg. The foccacia was good. They have been open for nine years. They have awards. They have an artisinal sensibility. Whether they always live up to that is up to you (or them on that day). Not bad. It is a small room with a patio on the side. I think they do well. Prices were fine. The menu is mostly pizza. Some variety though. This is an area that most people don't know even exists. There are more and more places opening up every time I pass through.. I believe my receipt says they are at 113 S. Orange St. It's smudged. That is one street from US 1 (I think that would be US 1 - if not then A1A) on the main drag. Where the "fort" ruins or train tracks are.


No comments: