Sunday, May 29, 2016

Flagler Tavern, New Smyrna Beach

After putting in a solid, burn inducing four hours on the beach, it was time for lunch (on Saturday). I tried this place on Flagler Ave (the main street). It opened last year I think. I was waiting until they completed the renovation. It is one the bigger spots on the street. Between the holiday and some wine festival, the whole area and this place was a mad house. I sucked it up at the bar and had a dozens oysters and some ceviche. The ceviche (mahi/scallops/shrimp) was surprisingly good. Not made too far in advance and made with citrus juice. It was served in a weird bowl. I don't recall much (if any) shrimp. It cost $9. The oysters were supposed to be Blue Points. They had no liquor and were mealy. I ate four and stopped. They tasted like wet grits. I'm not sure if restaurants now get these pre-shucked and frozen (like those mussels at the supermarket). I've never tasted oysters that tasted like this so I don't no what was wrong with them. They were nice enough to comp them. I didn't even have to ask. The manager or owner agreed that they were a bad batch. He also said they were Galveston not Blue Point. I hope this is a case of "stupid bartender" not deception. They were way too big to be Blue Points. If they were fresh, they would have been a value at $14. The rest of the menu is straight "plastic menu". Nachos, wings, quesadillas, seafood, burgers, pizza, etc. It is way too big to ensure quality. They want to be everything to everybody. The place is big. They have a deck. They have a main room and a side room. I think there is a second floor (also with a deck). If you are a drunk with limited culinary ambition, then this is the place for you. Or to put it another way - If you about 80% of the people that go to New Smyrna. It's not terrible. Just par for the course. They also had a live band. Ugh.

No comments: