Monday, May 2, 2016

La Gordita Loca, Lee Rd

On my way out of town (WP) on Sunday, I was looking to cross off a place I noted (Geno's) on that College Park sojourn a little while ago. It (Geno's) is either being built out or scrapped. I did, however, find this little gem. It's a simple, thirty seat Mexican spot on Lee Rd near the turn towards College Park. I forget the SR number. I had a chicken, barbacoa and al pastor taco to go with a chicken gordita to go. The tacos were under $2 and the gordita was $3. The barbacoa was rich and greasy (in a good way). The pork was tasty and it had some weird vegetable strips on it that I couldn't identify and never had before and didn't mind. The chicken was shredded. It was fine. The same chicken was in the gordita. We had a miscom on that one and the taco was supposed to become the gordita. But, I was glad to eat the mistake. All the tacos came on little tortillas with onions and tomato. The gordita was in a white corn flour cake that reminded me of a pupusa or an arepa. It was filled with tomatoes and lettuce and grated queso fresco. It had a lot more chicken. The menu is pretty small. What I had plus burritos and a few other things. They made a special soup because it was Sunday. It was still full at two pm. Mostly a home town crowd, but, the people like me had to have come here especially to come here. I mean I can't see this as a cruisers area of town. I should have asked what area the food is represented of. I didn't. The gordita is throwing me. They have been open for a year and that is one year I now regret living through. I also apologize to you that I didn't uncover these guys sooner. If I lived here, I would eat here twice a week. Love the prices. Love the food. Love simplicity.

No comments: