Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Ootoya, Altamonte Springs

I first became aware of this Japanese restaurant driving out of Koy Wan. I figured they would charge the same or more for a lunch than Koy's unlimited offer, so, I passed. I tried them on Sunday night (to go) because I was in the area and Koy's dinner price is higher then.so I wouldn't be mad at myself. Not that I wanted sushi after getting Mexican to go a few minutes before. But, I was there. I was pleasantly surprised. They were a step above the usual non-Japanese owned places. It may be a little gem. I need more data to make that call. I had two pieces each of red snapper and salmon. I also tried an avocado and peanut (I know) roll and an order of monk fish liver. The fish cost $5 (2 pc). One of the snapper was a little pasty. The other was good. They assured me it wasn't tilapia. The salmon was good. The knife work was a little clumsy. The rice was a tad over vinegared, but, otherwise up to snuff. The pieces were medium long and medium thick. The roll was weird as expected. I've never seen this combo before. The avocado acted as a kind of creamy peanut butter. The peanuts were salt roasted. I'm not sure if I'd order it again, but, it was an experience. The monkfish liver was ok. Four, thin slices from a cylinder of pate. It came with a ponzu sauce. It cost $9. I was just glad they offer it. They serve a wide variety of raw fish. The app list is a little more ambitious too. They serve tempura, katsu, teriyaki, udon, etc. They have a three roll special all day at $14. Lunch specials start at $10. The owner is Chinese. I've never seen Japanese Fried Rice before. Maybe it is a nod to his culture.The interior is very cute. It is on a lake (not the cleanest though). The room is very white with some wood accents and black calligraphy. They have (what I assume is) a fake cherry blossom tree in the center. It's a smallish, square room. The sushi bar is on the far wall. They pumped in lounge-y music. The service was polite and knowledgeable. They have around twenty sakes. I assume beer and wine too. I would actually go back for a sit down dinner. Two things (three including a return visit - four if it means driving far) that I reserve for special restaurants. They have been open for eight months. Pricing is equal to other less worthy competitors. It is located in a strip mall on 436 just off 434.

No comments: