Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Hideout, New Smyrna Beach

I was taking my still hungry self to the parking lot (on Saturday) when I saw a street placard for this place. The menu seemed interesting and I thought it said tuna poke tacos for $2.50. I ordered two. They turned out to cost $15 for two. I said "wtf" I just saved $14 and this is karma/the universe speaking to me. They were bad. Bad karma/universe. The tuna had no flavor and was mushy. They pair them with corn or flour tortillas. Both are a bad match. You need a hard shell for contrast. They doubled down on the mistake by serving the corn tortillas raw. Plus they don't know what poke should be. No sesame oil. No soy sauce. The other interesting thing they advertised was wreck fish. Google says it is either a whole family of fish or something that resemble grouper or bass. Not sure how much they were playing with the name or which theirs is. At least it sounded exotic. The rest of the menu was as small as the space itself. It is one tiny room that looks like a dive bar. It is in some setback mercantile area one block east of the shuffleboard court on Flagler. I didn't get a sense that there was talent behind the stove. Lack of knowledge on how to prepare the poke and poor execution. It may be a place that doesn't live up to its promise. The people were nice. The tacos also came with black beans and white rice. They may also incorporate the name Hemingway in their title.

No comments: