Thursday, May 19, 2016

The Peppy Bistro, College Park - Closed

I went to this scatter shot restaurant that calls itself as "fusion" two Tuesdays ago. It is on Edgewater Dr near Rusteak. It was one bad cheeseburger away from evisceration. Fortunately, for them, they didn't appear to screw up or vandalize the burger too badly. However, that makes my job harder. I could have called out the lack of clientele or the dusty, mismatched tables or water stained tableware and the over priced, disjointed menu and called it a day if the execution was poor. It was good enough. I hope it wasn't because I didn't want a repeat of that meal in Baldwin Park and asked the waitress to make sure they didn't press on the burger. Incidentally, that was why I was worried about "vandalizing". I didn't suffer any visible side effects if they didn't like being told how to do their job. I had an Italian burger for $13 because I was getting on a plane and didn't get the sense I should trust them with anything that swims and the rest of the menu was so uninspiring or overpriced. Anything "un-lunch like" was either over $20 or a salad. And I couldn't really report back to you on a salad could I? The lunch menu was pure pizzeria (ie parm sandwiches). The burger was average. The meat was oily and tasted bland. Except one area that tasted gamy and was hopefully not where it was ass wiped. It was pure, cheap supermarket surplus. I know because it is what I buy. It was a big patty and cooked to medium rare as requested. The juice/oil wasn't squeezed out. The mozzarella was well melted and seemed to be of acceptable quality. It came with unripe tomatoes and lettuce. I don't think they work with an Italian burger. They were not incorporated. The bun wasn't anything special and seemed burnt. I think it was panini pressed. It came with alot of thick cut fries that were hit with a blizzard of seasoning. Now that I think of it. so was the burger. That really mixed well with marinara sauce. Half (of the fries) were cooked long enough. And that was the pattern. One thing good. One thing bad. They have been open for five months (old Paxia spot). The owner (supposedly) had a hit restaurant in Del Rey. If they are still having issues then they just aren't good or have given up. I would have guessed (from all the evidence) that they were close to closing, but, the waitress said they are getting new pizza ovens in a few weeks. Now the boss could be telling her tales, but, I have to accept that as fact. Time will tell. It doesn't really matter. I'm not going back. I don't need a place that serves fajitas AND shrimp and octopus salad. I need them to pick a lane and stay in it. Plus I wouldn't gamble that they can  manage the $30+ fish and steak dishes. I know that the ambiance isn't what they are selling. Maybe with a money back guarantee. I also just remembered that the Coke was foul tasting and the Sprite tasted like seltzer. Ugh. The place is named after the owner. It's not an adjective.

No comments: