Monday, May 23, 2016

Boteco, I Drive

I had lunch at this Brazilian restaurant on Sunday. It has the distinction (maybe to its detriment) of being one of the few non-buffet Brazilian options in the area. It is located across from the Artegon shopping area on the north side of I Drive. I had a soup/stew in a tall tea cup that they call a black bean shot for $5 and a steak and side (fries) for $10. Both were good and I'll go onto that in a second, but, therein lies the problem. For the same outlay I could have eaten until the cows come home in one of those buffets. I'm sure they have some cow option in a warming tray. The quality here would have to be alot better and I'm not sure it is. Not that there is anything wrong with what they served, but, I'm not sure I could argue much difference either. The soup was good. A black bean puree with bits of dried beef and bacon. The portion was small for the price. I don't think it was nuked. The cup was intensely hot, but, there weren't any cold pockets in the soup. The sirloin was the regular length and width. however, they cut the depth in half to get it at that price. A whole cut with two sides instead of one is $18. A better deal than the "lunch special" by a side. The sirloin could have used some seal salt or butter or aging. It was au natural. They got the medium rare temperature right. The fries were great. Very crisp and plentiful. And I have to applaud the cook because it was hangover Sunday (for the help). Not a great day to eat out. It could have helped that I was THE customer at lunch. I'm not trying to cripple their business (I like it), but, I have to wonder how they have stayed in business for three years. I went to another $12.95 buffet place after here (maybe to get dinner to go) and it was packed. You couldn't get a seat. Their menu is interesting and fairly priced (most at the low teens and topping out in the low twenties). Is that enough? The buffets I have gone to have had most of what is on their menu. The place looks a little bare. New-ish though. Patio dining. Seats about sixty. Service was good. They spoke English. I had two small issues besides the nearly $3 soda. The waiter changed the one non-soccer channel to a soccer match and he could see I was watching what was on and the table was sticky. The name denotes a bar more than a restaurant. Maybe that is what pays the bills. I have no problem with them. I just think they may have to go even more up market or play the buffet game. Their sign is way too small too.

No comments: