Saturday, July 26, 2008

Roccos, Winter Park

Illustrative of my thesis that you need to go high end Italian is Roccos. I didn't even want italian after the Positano disappointment, but, they overcame me antipathy. Tucked into an armpit of space of 17-92, is a well appointed restaurant with a courtyard and a bar with potential. While it wasn't quite hopping, I was told it can. Maybe the rain kept it from realizing its potential. I started with Funghi Ripieni alla Jo Jo for $9. It's mushroom caps (4 mediums) filled with sausage, red pepper, shallots, and mascarpone cheese. I enjoyed it very much. It had a savory character. The entree was Vitello ai Carciofi at $24. The veal was milky and nice cooked (about 3 pieces). The artichokes seemed canned as they always do (vineagery) and were quatered (about one artichoke for the plate). The sauce was a veal reduction (thick) of capers and white wine. It came with pan roasted potatos (about 5 wedges). They served a slice of lemon with a large caper as a garnish. The crowd was respectable. The seating was about half capacity. The host and hostess were attentive. The wait staff was as well. The linen and cutlery were clean. They provided a basket of warm foccacio with garlic infused olive oil. Refills on soda were complimentary. I can't wait to go back and try the wild boar.

My only advice is one that I could give almost every restaurant in this area - move. It's amazing what shitty hovels some really fine retauranteurs accept in this town. The font for their logo is also a little pedestrian for such a sophisticated restaurant.

No comments: