Sunday, June 7, 2009

Circa, Winter Park (Closed)

I had lunch at this what they call American Classic (I call it themeless) restaurant on Park Avenue on Wednesday. I had the Tortellini in a Tomato Chianti Cream Sauce (very American, right?) for $7. It was delicioso. It came with sweet english peas. The portion was large. The pasta was well cooked. The sauce was savory. I laughed to myself when I looked across the street and saw those saps getting a Panera sandwich for the same price. The service was good. Although, it better have been since only two others were in attendance. The staff was all dressed in costume. The waiter gave me a good table and refilled my drink without provocation. He was always attentive. They served a little unleavened cracker in lieu of bread (very cost conscious). The butter was a little stinky. It had either been melted and reformed too many times or tainted by something in the refrigerator. The place is art deco. They have fresh flowers. There is a mirrored bar, piano and an upstairs night club (all white). They have a banquet room in the back and a pub next door. The food ranged from meatloaf to alligator bits to seafood. The place was clean and has good views. They have put a lot of care into this operation. The value is great (especially at lunch). Let's hope they can succeed where many others have failed.

No comments: