Monday, May 27, 2013

Belle Isle Bayou, Belle Isle - Closed

I had dinner at this Cajun restaurant in a shitty strip mall on Conway and Hoffner (I'm pretty sure that was it - it's the one off 436 that has the Mobil station on it and I think is the last right you can make before the airport that goes back into Orlando) on Thurday. I had the shrimp and grits for $12. It was excellent. The grits seemed freshly made for this portion. I asked and they said they were. They were saturated with cheese. In addition to the shrimp (around eight, pretty fresh 24 size), they added andouille sausage, fatback bacon and mushrooms (they said those were fresh too). The bowl full was huge. It was flavored with a lot of black pepper. The service (4) was great. The dish took a little while to appear, but, I think that is evidence of its freshness. The place has the appropriate decor. It seats abot 80 in the main room and 30 in a card room (they have poker on Thurday nights). It was about a third full at 7pm. It was a family environment. I would urge them to hide the high chairs and junk around the kitchen. The menu was traditional New Orleans. There is even a spiel about their mission statement and the purveyors resumes in the menu. The one disappointment was that they only do crawfish boils once a week (Friday I think). The pricing was respectful. I recommend a visit if you are in the neighborhood or coming or going to OIA. I think Yelp had some mixed reviews on the place, but, I liked what I had.

*Note - I apologize if there are misspellings in the future. This stupid site isn't loading right and the spell check button is now overlapped by some Post Settings layer that I can't get to right justify.

No comments: