Thursday, October 31, 2013

Grub Crawl - 50 & Mills: Gigi's Cupcakes, Thuyen Vien, Chewy Boba Company, Noodles and Rice and Bubbles and Ice

I ate at these place that are around Mills and 50 last Wednesday afternoon.

Gigi's Cupcakes - Although a chain of over 70 storefronts, they produce like an artisinal shop. I had a daily special Chocolate Bourbon Pecan cupcake for $3.50. It was very good. I could have lived with out the extra layer of mousse-like frosting, but, I'm sure others will shoot me for suggesting it. They do around ten types of cupcakes a day. The to go box probably costs them 50 cents (but don't trust me because I've never worked in the industry, so, I can't be trusted) and has a nice molded cup for it to sit in. It's at the back of the strip mall that houses Total Wine on the right side.

Thuyen Vien - I had an order of summer rolls to go (3) at this vegetarian spot with an affiliation with an order of monks who live nearby. It cost $3. They were ok. The had faux chicken in them and came with a peanut sauce. The rolls were large. They said they are playing down the religious affiliation and have recently refurbed the eating area and the kitchen. I think I had eaten there once before, but, it looked much different than I remembered. They really just serve a few apps and noodle bowls. Friendly. In the alcove in the middle of the first set of shops off Mills - on the southeast side. It seats about 20. Not a destination spot.

Chewy Boba Company - Another place I had been before that had a slight remodel (the entrance way). I had a regular boba tea for $4. It tasted like coffee water (like it's supposed to). They now serve macaroons imported from a chichi shop in NYC. They also serve teas and slushies. One shop closer to Mills than Thuyen Vien.

Noodles and Rice - I had lunch at this most unimaginative sounding hot pot restaurant on Mills (closer to 50). They have other things, but, hot pots are the draw. It's like a fancier Hotto Potto without the offal. I had chicken/shrimp/straw mushrooms/wood ear mushrooms in a miso broth. The broth was $4.50 and maybe a little bland. The chicken was $3 - nice portion and quality. The shrimp was $4 - 3 nice quality and 1 mushy served head on. The straw mushrooms were $2 and seemed overly washed and were tasteless. The wood ear mushrooms were $1 and were julianned and tasteless. I tried to add a layer of flavor by adding an element between every half bowl I ate. I never achieved it with the elements I selected. I tried to supplement the main components with things from their condiment bar. I used aged soy, pickled cabbage and hot chili oil, but, I failed. It was fun anyway. Most components cost under $3. They have 7 broths. It seats about 90. It's nicely decorated. I believe they use those Nuwave hot plates. I'm not sure if it is destination worthy, but, it's fun if you live reasonably close by (ie downtown or Winter or College Park).

Bubbles and Ice - This rhymed dessert sister (same owners) of Noodles and Rice serves liquid refreshments and desserts from $4-$8. It's next door. I had a red bean slushie for $4. It melted before I could try it. The melted concotion was not potable. It seats about 40. It has a modern look.

No comments: