Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Pub/Grub Crawl - Milk District: Pho K5, Lou's Lounge, Barley and Vine Biergarten and Bull and Bush

I went these places on Bumby and on Livington (I think) for dinner last Tuesday. If Livingston is wrong then it's the main street that has all the bars. It was their food truck night, but, all the trucks were unappealing. They only had a dozen trucks to begin with.

Pho K5 - This Vietnamese place is new (1 month) and is a pun on the island the owner hails from. I just had some snacks because I thought I was going to have to sample a list of places. I had Shrimp Soup with Noodles for $2.50 and Beef Guides (sp?) for $3.50. The soup was really a chicken broth with two shrimp. It was a small bowl, but, it did the trick. It was nice not to have to buy a huge Pho to satisfy a soup craving. The guides were little bundles of beef steamed in a leaf. I forget what kind. There were five pieces to an order. They were good. The service (1) was good. They food came out fast. The place is clean and bigger than most Vietnamese places. The decor is minimal. There were around five people there at 7pm. They had adequate parking. The menu was mostly phos, noodle and rice dishes. Prices are low.

Lou's Lounge - I went to this dive bar next to Pho after my snack. I asked for a shot of Jack and they served me a glass. I actually think he stopped the pour when my eyes dilated from the shock of the glass getting fuller and fuller. The shot cost $4. Now the down side is that the clientele (at that time of the day) was mostly bar flies and the smoke is excessive. I think the place has been there since the Eisenhower administration.

Barley and Vine Biergarten - I came down here for this new bar. It's more of an American Craft Brew Pub than a German biergarten. It is next to Pho (on the other side). Look for the rub out room in front of it. It was cool. They have a beer garden and an enclosed area. The beer selection was pretty good.

Bull and Bush - I had a beer at this old Irish Pub now next to Gringos Locos. It is another relic. I think it opened in 1987. It's a reproduction of an Irish Pub. It's small.

If you come down here, you can also try Sportstown Billiards, Space Bar and Sandwich Bar. The last two have little to no signage. Look for black doors. They are in the middle of the block. I was going to try Se7en Bites (a dessert place on Primrose that I tried once when it was a restaurant), however, they close at 3pm. I may try these at another time, but, parking is pain and the food truck selection isn't the draw I was hoping for. It's on the back burner again.


No comments: