Thursday, June 22, 2017

Market To Table, Winter Garden

OK, I wanted to knock these out before I go chasing polar bears. I stopped by this American restaurant today at lunch. I was about to throw a conniption when I saw that it was closed. I had checked Google a few times and it was supposed to be open. This is another reason I'm knocking this out. They are on summer hours. This means no lunch on week days and a brunch on Sunday. Back to the brewing conniption. I must have looked forlorn because the door opened and I explained how far I had journeyed and the owner said he would make me something for my trouble. It turned out to be a cheese burger and although it wasn't what I had geared myself up for (it had a reputation as a finer dining establishment), it turned out to be good. Medium well instead of medium rare, but, otherwise buttery and topped with fresh veg. The home made chips were good and it came with a pickle. It cost $0. Now that is how to turn a frown upside down and why I'll speak well of then in the future. Their dinner menu (what I saw) ran from $24 to $30. A smallish (6) entree selection with complementary components (spelt, grains of paradise) that seemed more interesting than the canvases (filet, chicken, tile fish). The apps were a little on the "popular" side. That should please the non-adventurous. The burrata at $8 seemed like a value. Other sides ran to $12. The charcuterie board had whiskey salami and wild boar salami. They had some (4) desserts. A few wines (5) per color/type and a few beers. They didn't do much to space (the old Al Fresco spot behind the theater). They opened the end of the bar to have a cold prep showcase and partitioned the middle of the room with some cheap metal shelving with iffy nick nacks on them. Maybe it looks better with the lights on. I'm not sure if I can suffer a repeat trip in the near future (50 is filled with retards), but, I'm glad I got some sense of their skill and a full dose of their ethos. The town just completed a multi-level covered garage behind them. This should help a common complaint about going to WG - no parking. The truly opened around six months ago.

No comments: