Saturday, March 9, 2019

Taco Bus, UCF Area - Closed

I tried this two week old outpost of the famed food truck enclave in Tampa today (lunch). It was a total Taco Bust. I was waiting for an Apollos game to venture out here, but, they seem to be on an endless road trip. I couldn't wait. I wish I had. I'm fairly sure that I liked the original (I even believe I reported on it on this site). It was on one of the food shows (probably 3D). If I did enjoy that experience, then I either have really evolved gastronomically or this is one of the worst attempts to duplicate an experience in modern memory. I had three tacos for $9.50 ($3.29 a piece). Although, there is an extra 50 cents on the bills for some reason and I don't see anything I added that is listed as an extra charge of any amount. I had a cochinita pibil, a shrimp and a fried fish (grouper). All of the tacos were too big. I know. How can that be? It can. The tortillas are a mass manufactured joke. No flavor. Served raw. Both the corn and flour. They are loaded with a flavorless cheese and stale pico. I won't even go into the senselessness/artlessness of serving the same toppings on all their tacos. The pork was drowned in "fake" juice and salt. No trace of bitter orange. The shrimp seemed frozen and were a bit soft. And they were the best. The fish was dry and fishy. They also offer other dishes. A rather bland array that you'd find at fast food rival (plus a chimi). They serve four types of chicken, two beef, two pork and four veg. It looks like a fast food place with a fake school bus in front of the kitchen/counter. Black "wood" tables and black steel chairs. It's across from the Knight Library on University. It's worse than Tijuana Flats, etc. I'm going to try another new Mex place in the Milk district next week. Hopefully, it is nothing like this. Whomever bastardized/wasted this franchising opportunity should be added to the menu. What a disaster!

*Not many food changes in the area. I think the Chicken Salad Chick was replaced by Taco Bell and a place called Omelet is in the marketplace closest to the school. Down the "Trail" I think there is a new Indian bowl and a sushi place.

No comments: