Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Coco Cucina, Thornton Park

I tried this Mexican restaurant next to Oudom (same owner) at lunch over two weeks ago. It was ok. It offers more than just burritos and tacos. Things like: ceviche, elote, fried tequila pickles, fundido, paella, fire stones, meatballs and pozole. I had the ceviche rojo (Hamachi) for $14 and one of the $9 lunch specials (Mexican burger) for $9. The ceviche was fairly good. A lot of fish. It didn't seem too prepared in advance. They used citrus in the marinade. Not too astringent. Lots of avocado. A meal unto itself. The waiter/bartender sold me on the burger. It was ok. A mix of beef and chorizo. A bit tough because of the extra time needed to cook the pork. A lot of stuff with/on it. I think even fried onions. Fries too, I think. I was the only one seated at 1pm and the food took a little long to arrive. Maybe that meant the ceviche was fresh? Maybe they were cooking their lunch first? They have $5 happy hour items and a taco Tuesday. The menu has seafood and meat dishes. The room has been redecorated to appear Mexican. It has a modern feel. I can't remember what the last place was. French? I was expecting to hate it (because they just closed a failed Mexican place across the street and you would think they could take a hint), but, it was more ambitious than I expected. Given that I was the only patron, I hope this wasn't another case of my reviewing a restaurant in a death roll. Small tip - you may be able to park in one of their reserved spots in the condo behind them. Actually the Oudom spots. Otherwise parking is a problem. I had to park by Lake Eola. Oh yeah, this place is on South Eola. Open for nine months. You could do worse.

No comments: