Friday, May 29, 2020

Bayridge Sushi, Longwood *TN/SC/NC/GA Travel Notes

I grabbed some take out (no sit in until June) for lunch on Wednesday at the new location (one block south and in from the old one) of this Japanese restaurant on 434 near some hospital. Look for a McDonald's. I had the sashimi lunch (12 pieces and a California roll) for $12 and a yellowtail and scallion roll for $5. They gave me rocket propulsion diarrhea (three extended ass heaves that impressed my ding dong by their force and liquidity) and that wasn't the worst part of the meal. Well I guess it was if we are viewing as part of my real fear of patronizing these re-emerging restaurants. I'm not scared of Wu Flu. I'm scared that restaurants will be unwilling to clear out their larders of the food they purchased before the closures. This seemed to be the case here. And this is raw fish. Not frozen chicken fingers. The sashimi was composed of tuna, salmon, escolar and what they call whitefish/tai (probably tilapia). The tuna seemed the freshest (most firm), but, it had no taste at all. The salmon was warm and limp. The escolar (I applaud them for not calling it white tuna) was warm. limp and tasted funky. The tilapia had the worst funk. Antisceptic. Like they sprayed it with bleach. Just deplorable. 3 pieces of each. Decent size. The Cali roll was also bad. The avocado was not ripe. To illustrate, the best piece I had was one that fell into the soy sauce and was saturated in it. They also included a miso soup with dry, hardened miso. That's a first. And an iceberg lettuce leaf salad. The yellowtail came in a cigar shape in nori. The cheap way of serving it. The fish had no taste. The presentation was ok. The place is much bigger (than the old) and very nice looking. Hip even. Black wood. square design. Big Buddha statue in front. It's a shame. I'll never go back because of this gastro-ass-ault. They opened in December. I never realized it, but, the "Bayridge" is for Bayridge Brooklyn. Where they opened their first restaurant. I wonder if they get their fish from under the Verrazzano. It would explain a lot. The old location is going to be a F&D Italian soon. The one that was supposed to be in Sanford I guess.

*Travel Notes - TN/SC/NC/GA: I only have a few finds from last weeks trip to the TN/SC/NC and GA. A bbq place (Smokin Pig) off 95 in Richmond Hill GA (exit 87, I think) served me up a smoked chicken sandwich. I chose a side of collard greens. Not sure if this is already a thing, but, I put them in the sandwich. It worked. I also saw (didn't try) that they had something called funnel fries at Spanky's in Kitty Hawk NC. I forgot to ask if these were just churros. They also had a burger topped with a crab cake. That's kind of original. Was going to go to The Chef and the Farmer in Kinston NC (on TV), but, it was still closed.

No comments: