Saturday, July 18, 2020

Grub Crawl - Maitland: Brick & Spoon and 7 Mango *NV/UT/NM/WY/CO/AZ Travel Notes

I tried these places over two weeks ago at lunch. They are near the Copper Rocket. The first is on the corner of the condo complex on the road into Eatonville. The second is in the deep corner of the parking lot across the street that is in front of Copper Rocket or that Med fast food photomart.

Brick & Spoon - A bougie breakfast and lunch place that asks the question - "can you gentrify yourself". It's an offshoot of two Alabama places owned by an ex-Brewer. I forget his name. They have been open for three months. I had a traditional eggs benedict to go because it was packed. I thought it would come out quicker. No concerns about the lack of social distancing. I don't really care. It didn't make a difference. Took thirty minutes plus. This was on the day before Independence Day. A Friday. I was surprised by the turn out. If the people had jobs, then why weren't they at them? If they did not, how were they taking the whole family out in the middle of an economic crisis? The menu wasn't cheap. Then I realized. They have government jobs. We pay them NOT to work while we are furloughed or not allowed to work by the same government bureaucrats.

The benedict was pretty bad. The muffin wasn't toasted. The eggs were well done. The Canadian bacon was mediocre. The sauce was thankfully sparse. What there was of it was sour and broken. This was a bit after the riots. I guess the cooks were fresh out of jizz from banging all the co-eds after the rallies, so, they couldn't "sauce" the eggs properly. It cost $12. It came with some ok "hash browns". More like fried potato rectangles. This or the drink I had at the next place gave me stomach distress.

They had five other poached egg dishes. Some with seafood. They also had breakfast tacos, pancakes, French toast, omelets, biscuits, salads, burgers, shrimp and grits, seafood and other things. The place looks nice. Modern. High ceilings. I'm not sure if I'd give it a second try. Too pricey for execution probability.

7 Mango Ice Cream and Tea - They have been open for one year. I had a mango fruit tea for $5. It was terrible. Bath water. I'm not sure if the mango was supposed to be green and hard, but, it was. Probably poisoned me. They also do that Thai style of ice cream where they freeze it on a board and they scrape it into a roll.

*Travel Notes - NV/UT/NM/WY/CO/AZ: I have been on a two week road trip to the Southwest. Most of the good food finds were in Las Vegas. I will tell you about them in the next post. I will start by detailing air travel. No lines at the airport. Wearing a mask while waiting for the plane and then on the plane blows. They pretend to take your temperature while boarding. The flight is 100% full. They won't give you anything to eat or drink. Taxiing out to the runway and taking off is quicker. Not much new to eat. I had chorizo instead of CB on eggs benedict in Moab UT (Jailhouse CafĂ©). It was bad. My hotel in Blanding UT (Stone Lizard Lodge) made me savory pockets (eggs, green Hatch chile, ham, cheese and tomato in puff pastry), whole wheat Cinnamon rolls (not good) and a nice chia pudding (chia seed soaked in coconut milk). I had a honey and sea salt rubbed cheddar from Beehive Cheese at a market (Harmon's) in Salt Lake City. Ok. I bought baby back ribs potato chips by Flavor Mill at a gas station in Blanding. Bad. Just bbq chips. They sold a lot of weird flavors. That's all that stood out. Ate at a lot of favorite west coast fast food spots. Vegas was a different story.

No comments: