Sunday, September 20, 2020

Moroccan Breeze, Orlando

I tried this Moroccan food stall in the Apna Bazaar Food Court (right and rear of market) south of the Florida Mall (Sand Lake Rd) on OBT around three weeks ago. They didn't seem ready for customers at noon. Not great for a place that has been open for almost a year. I ordered the wrong thing and it took over a half hour to complete. That left little time to consume it and make my flight. I had to pick at a messy mess in the car with my free hand. While trying to keep my pants clean. I ordered the chicken tagine for $13. The chicken (half) was smallish and mushy (old and/or frozen). The rice was even worse. Seemed old. Dry. And they added some oily liquid to it that seemed like melted margerine. The tomato based sauce was bland. I didn't eat most of it. Tossed it. You could get it with rice or bread. The bread was just a loaf purchased at Publix. I haven't had a ton of Moroccan food, but, I have been there and had some. This was not one of the better meals I've encountered. A big let down considering the effort (three tries) I expending finding out. They also do other tagines. They have a Berber one. Sandwiches of falafel, shwarma, gyros, liver (out of), and other things. Some desserts. Some apps. Couscous. Not many options in this category. They are closed on Monday.

*The sign outside said they had four stalls. One (that may have been Apna Grill) that I thought had Afghani signage was closed. A Chaat Masala one, I didn't see. Maybe in the market? And Five Star South Indian looked intriguing. I tried to try it, but, they kept disappearing in the back. One guy finally started on some dosas up front. They looked good. And some dishes from Kerala may have been a new experience. I don't recall having those. Closed on Monday.

**Travel Teaser: On Whidbey Island WA, I had spotted prawns. So good. Maybe my new final meal. A cross between lobster tail, shrimp and crawfish with an uni and caviar kicker. I'm not sure if they were all female, but, they had that hard red strip female lobsters have. You could reach in the head and pull out a further thin strip of meat and the roe. The tomalley (who knew that's how it is spelled) tasted like uni. A real head sucking experience. I'm a little confused about the roe because one had the eggs all over her legs (on the outside). The prawn has a sharp, pointed peak. They weren't spotted when cooked. Just orange like most shrimp. They cost $20 a pound at a fish market. 

No comments: