Friday, July 2, 2021

Bashu Hot Pot, West Colonial *OR/NV Travel Notes

I tried this Chinese hot pot place on West Colonial and Kirkman two weeks ago at dinner time. It is in a strip mall that has mostly Asian choices. It opens at 3pm. Closes at 11pm. The owner said he may extend hours. In which direction, I know not where. It's a typical hot pot restaurant. Why don't we know the Chinese would for that (or all the other types)? Google translator says Huoguo Dian. I guess that's why. Doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. It has been open for three months. It's all you can eat for $26. You chose one of six broths. I chose the mushroom based. I added their three sliced meats (lamb shoulder, pork belly and Angus beef). I believe the menu said it was beef stomach or belly or something odd. It was all thinly slice from frozen carcasses. As they do it. All were fine. Beef was a little tough. They bring them to you. Large amounts. I supplemented these with a few selections from a jam packed buffet area. I grabbed quite a few large shrimp, hen of the woods mushrooms, mini sausages, lotus root, and beef balls. I also had some small umbrella shaped mushrooms that I thought were baby something or others. I thought shitake. But, my searches aren't confirming. I did find an interesting one called "parasol" while searching that this was not. They seem to be an "it" thing. The beef balls were stuffed. I enjoyed that. They also had things like: noodles, crab, fish balls, tofu, crab balls, vegetables, etc. Another two areas for sauces. Mostly fresh. And then you cook them in the broth. They have eight booths under a a fake porch ("menlang" according to Google translate) overhang. Ten tables in the center. All with electric heating surfaces. It was about half full. All Asian. Kind of young crowd. Service was a bit thin. Most were eating their dinner at the tables. They also seemed to be babysitting their children with cartoons on the communal tv. It was annoying hearing those infantile songs. I was told that the name is from a region in the Szechuan province. I was expecting a little more. Could be a little cleaner and professional for $26. Sill, it was ok.

*Travel Notes from OR and NV - It was mostly a CA trip, but, I will end the next review with that. Let's see. I passed through southern Oregon and stopped for gas and saw a sign for Rogue Creamery in Central Point (really Medford). I had  their classic grilled cheese (I believe it was mostly cheddar with some of one of their blues). I also grabbed a single serving of a brie that turned out to be not theirs and a chocolate and blue cheese truffle that I also think was somebody else's. In Las Vegas, I stayed at the El Cortez downtown because I got there on the weekend and prices were crazy. Plus I wanted to eat downtown. The hotel room was kind of good for under $100 with fees. and free parking. I couldn't get into my dinner choice (Carson Kitchen). I settled on a lousy chicken flauta at La Comida. I had a few good Viking Beach Parties at Atomic Liquors (LV's oldest bar) and pretty bad $6 pizza slices at Evel Pie. But, it was Evel Knievel's joint! At lunch, I had the best (only out of five or so) by far Cacio e Pepe at Esther's Kitchen in the Art's District. It is in between Downtown and the Strip. You should find this area. Alot of restaurants, breweries, etc. I saw Esther's and Atomic on the Hubert Keller show. They said Esther's has been open for eight years. It still seems to be a hot ticket. I got in at opening time and it wasn't long before they were turning people away. I didn't get into the hidden speakeasy at the Mob Museum. Private party. I came through Death Valley and stopped at a dinosaur dig NP called Tule Springs. It wasn't completed. No VC. Started in 2014. It is only like ten minutes north on 95. Another suburb that is brand new. I also went to the Valley of Fire SP north on 15. It was great. $15 for out of staters. Many movies shot there (Total Recall). You can come back to Lake Mead via 169. I did that and stayed in Boulder City at the El Rancho. A little motel for $94. Saturday price. I ate surprisingly fresh sushi at Momoyama. I had an ok breakfast of eggs and hash browns and banana bread at Southwest Diner.

No comments: