Monday, August 23, 2021

Grub Crawl - Sanford: Maggie Dog and The Greenery Creamery *NC/SC/VA Travel Notes

I tried these kiosks in Henry's Depot on First St on Tuesday at dinner. The first just opened two weeks ago. The second is an OG. I also learned, while here. that the space in the middle (now used for seating) will become a Git N Messy BBQ (without the original cook). They also have torn up one side of the outside for more access/parking.

Maggie Dog Specialty Links - A half dozen "fancified" links. I chose a rabbit sausage with bacon on the side for $10. Obviously not worth it. Not a particularly large sausage. Not particularly tasty. Could have been any animal. You can buy a PACK of similar ones in a supermarket for less. Bacon was stale and dry. Sat there for a long time. Cold too. Came with a fruit sauce. I forget which. Charged an extra 40 cents to go. Why exactly? Best element was the tiny cup of pasta salad. Very thin short tubes. Like in boxed mac and cheese. Same owner as the fish place next to them (Current). They need to drop the pricing in half.

The Greenery Creamery - They also have one downtown. I believe I rated them. That is why I think I've ignored this spot. Plus I can live with out ice cream. At least I think they make their own. when I was traveling last week, I kept passing packed ice cream stands. It made me pause. Why are idiots paying for ice cream they can buy in stores. Most of these places just buy the same mass produced ice cream we can all buy and scoop it for us. Ohhhh. We are that stupid and lazy. Well you are. I grabbed a coffee, cream and cookies mix for $4+. I forget the name and receipt just says "solo". It was good. They have about a dozen "gourmet" concoctions. Cones or cups. They said they make the cones here and the ice cream at the other location.

*I saw these oddities on tv. Waterfall cake (stolen from the internet I assume) by Buddy Delastro (sp?) and crumpet sandwiches from a place in Seattle called Queen Bee.

**Travel Notes - NC/SC/VA: These are actually the first and last states I hit. Will save the North for next post. Slept in a Comfort Inn in Wilson NC for $105 (rack rate). Grabbed a chopped pork sandwich with cole slaw at Ralph's Barbeque in Weldon NC (really the Roanoke Rapids main exit). Mushy. On the way back I slept at a Comfort Inn in Ruther Glen VA for $105 (rack rate). Had a pulled turkey sandwich at Boogie's Turkey BBQ in Elm City NC (on 301). It and the next two were on the Chef and the Farmer show. It was ok. Big. The show said turkey is becoming the "it" meat in the black community. I drove to Greenville to see ECU. Nice town. Nice facilities. Then just outside of town to Sam Jones BBQ in Winterville NC. It is an off shoot of the next place. More modern. I had a Jones Family Original Platter of pulled whole hog pork, a side and corn bread. Very good pork. Great potato salad. Interesting corn bread. It was like a dried polenta square. Dense. No sugar. Good. I drove a few miles south to Ayden NC. I had a whole hog pulled pork sandwich at Skylight Inn. I was pretty full and had dinner to go. It was a tad less good than at their sister shop. It also made me wonder how long can meat sit out without being refrigerated? The Inn had pics of Carter, Bush, Reagan, etc. It must have been famous for a long time. I never got the memo. I drove to Kinston NC to eat at The Chef & the Farmer. I've watched her show for a while. On PBS here. It was ok. Gritty swordfish. Watermelon salad on top was better. Ok (voluminous) Boiler Room beef fat fries with Kitchen Sink sauce. Dull menu. Overly pricey. It's right in the middle of the downtown. I slept at a Quality Inn for $107. Drove to Harker's Island to get a ferry to Cape Lookout NC. A NP. Drove back through a spit of land starting in Atlantic Beach that was kind of like New Smyrna. Slept in Jacksonville NC at the Coastal Motel for $88. Not on coast. Next to Camp Lejeune. Drove through Wilmington NC to North Myrtle Beach. Had a brisket sandwich at Bar B Que House. Sign said they were voted best bbq for ten years. It was good. Original location south of Myrtle Beach in Surfside. Never found Coastal Carolina Univ. On to Charleston SC. Had lunch 2 at 5 Church. An old church. Had a good and interesting Salmon vs Eggs (cooked salmon aside poached eggs and spinach on toast). Had dinner at 82 Queen. Was purported to be the originator of she crab soup. Bartender said that was bs. Good thing. It was bad. Bitter. Dry scant crab. Never would have taken off if they created it. Also had bbq shrimp and grits. Better. And tomato pie. Kind of a quiche. I think that was my first. Good. Slept at Days Inn for $112. Plus $20 for parking. Grabbed peach cider, apple and praline pie, popcorn on the cob and fried peanuts at Carolina Cider Company in Gardens Corner SC (on 17). Pie was so good that I ate it before I reached Florida. It was a six incher. I popped the popcorn yesterday. So fun. Came with a bag. Made the usual amount. All microwave popcorn should be like this. Dried on the cob. From Uncle Ozgoods of Kansas. Peanuts were a bit oily inside. From Uncle Bud's in Tennessee. Next post on Wednesday.


No comments: