Friday, November 12, 2021

Grub Crawl - Lake Ivanhoe and Audubon Park: Ziggie's Pizza and Sugar Dough *FL Keys Travel Notes

I tried these new participants last Saturday afternoon. They are semi-near each other. The first is on Virginia in between Lake Ivanhoe and Mills next to Thirsty Topher. The next is across from the East End Market in the old Bluebird spot.

Ziggie's Pizza - The partners from Perla split. This is one of them. Ziggie is a nick name. He and his bro do a New Haven "inspired" pie. No coal oven. It's steel. But they said it gets to 600 degrees. Open for two months. Only pizza. Some funky toppings. I had the basic OG. It cost $10. Not bad. Gray-ish under crust. Alright char. Thin! Almost no crust. Was better than Pop's in that you could taste the sauce. Cheese was ok.

Sugar Dough - I had a spam quiche danish because it was the weirdest thing. It cost $4.50. No complaints. They sell cookies, cruffins, crowaffles, etc. Not much of a departure from Bluebird. I will opine that if a business had this lack of alternate sex employees, there would be a scene. But. since it doesn't involve white males, no one will kvetch. You are more evolved though. Don't let your behavior tell you otherwise. Some sort of past discrimination sterilizes your innate bigotry. Gurrl power.

*Travel Notes - Florida Keys: I will break the trip into three parts. This is the first. I left a few days early because the prices were rising due to a boat race. Plus the weather was deteriorating. I slept at the Rock Reef Resort in Key Largo on Sunday for $117. I like to drive down on Sunday. Less traffic. I ate dinner at Ballyhoos. I had an Iron Skillet of Mahi with Shrimp and roasted mushrooms that were sauteed/boiled. I had a poor slice at Upper Crust in Key Largo. I had a mahi sandwich in Key Lime Butter with ff at Hobo's Cafe at lunch. Good quality mahi. In Marathon, I slept at the horrible Kingsail Resort (noise) for $244 for two nights. I whiffed on scuba. Went to the wrong place (based on last year's rates) and passed. Found out a place called Hook's had reasonable rates the next day. Ate dinner at Barracuda Grill. It was surprisingly ambitious and expensive. Had Roast Duckling with veg and mp. Also a salad with sweet cherry peppers. Had lunch at Porky's. A bad yt snapper sandwich with potato salad. Supplemented the lunch with a snack of stone crabs at Key Fisheries. Found out that deformed claws are called floaters. They sold them for 1/3 the price per pound. They were going for $30 this year. These cost $10. The meat was about a half as large. Some claws seemed to be "full". It was worth the discount. Never seen them offered up before. Had another snack at a food truck called Las Isla Taco Grill. Had a bad al pastor taco and a good mahi. Ate a bad hogfish sandwich at Sunset Grille under the 7 Mile Bridge. Good spot to see the sunset though. Ate an ok egg and sausage breakfast at Stout's (cash only). Ate lunch on the way out at Lazy Lobster in Key Largo. A lazy. tail piece yt tuna sandwich with store bought, watery potato salad. Sad. I think I'll go back in December since this trip got truncated. Got a few more scuba options. I went to Naples next. That will be part 2.


No comments: