Friday, February 11, 2022

Grub Crawl - Milk District and East Colonial: Cicchetti and bb-q Chicken

I tried the first place at lunch on a Sunday about two weeks ago. I tried the other today at 3pm. The first is on N Bumby across from a brewery and aside Mx Tacos in The Milkhouse. The other is aside a Publix on E Colonial near Mamak. It was a Chinese place before this.

Cicchetti Kitchen - I thought Cicchetti was a last name. Nope. They said Italian (Venetian) for small plates or side dishes. I think I knew that once. Not many cicchetti. Menu is small too. Dinner menu only added a steak ($18) and ribs ($16), I think. Didn't see it. Overheard a conversation with another table. Very Venetian? They offered: six spreads on toast ($6), a tartare/cruda ($12), frito misto ($12), mozzarella en carozza (carriage) ($10), and seven other things like sardines ($10). I grabbed a semi-decent (but small) Bacaro (where they sell cicchetti) Burger for $14. Kind of like an In & Out Double Double with taleggio, zucchini pickles, mustard and a potato roll. Came stag. Said each patty was 4oz (1/4 lb). Service (1) was good. Place is in a big white building. Patio in front. Looks lodgy. Wood, slate, brick. Full length bar to the rear. Two rows of tables in front. All window front. There is also a Kelly's Ice Cream. and a Foxtail Coffee. Not much of a marketplace. I believe they said they opened in September. I was hoping for a little more. Seems like they are focusing on the bar.

bb-q Chicken - They lower case the b. Not me. I tried them after CK two weeks ago. Wait was 40 minutes at 2pm. I declined. Is everyone eating like a Spaniard all of a sudden? Went back today to fit it in this review. Waited twenty (or less) minutes at around the same time. Not really worth the effort. I just had my first Bojangles chicken sandwich ($4) a few days ago. That's a better value. I ordered the half Golden Original Chicken (fried) for $14. This chicken had a mastectomy (no breast). Just thighs, drums and wings. I think they said eight pieces. It's ok. The crust is light. Too light. Tempura-ish. No bite. Little crunch. Neutral to oily tasting. Probably because no spicing. You get some (flavorless) heat at the back end. A hint of sweetness. Like a pancake batter. The chicken was moist. They are clever in the to go packaging. It is cardboard and has vents. The chicken can't steam and ruin the crust. It appears they are a global chain. In 57 countries. I may have eaten in one before. They also sell wings and boneless chicken. You can choose from a range of sauces. Smallest sizes of those cost more than my box. They have beer. The place has one lengthwise, communal table on the left and some fours on the right. It was full both times. Must have a following. You order at a counter. They have a big mural showing how they fry the chicken. Don't get why it's called"bbq". No bbq. I guess I'm not in love with KFC because I think I was non-plussed by Chi-Kin too. And I'm getting sick of paying sit down prices for take out effort experiences. Think off them as Wing Stop and they may exceed your expectations. They were open for a week the first time I tried. Now three? They cemented their hours (a sign said) at like 11am or 12pm to 3pm and then a two hour break and open for dinner at 5pm to like 8pm? 7 days. 

*I'll have an I Drive and then a DT review in the next week. Including a travel note per.

No comments: