Thursday, August 18, 2022

Grub Crawl - Lake Mary and Altamonte Springs: Bubbakoos Burritos and I Heart Mac and Cheese *Northern Ireland Travel Notes

I tried the first place on Saturday. It's in the strip mall on Lake Mary Blvd that has a Beth's Burgers and Winn Dixie. I tried the second yesterday. It is in the strip mall on 434 called Jamestown Place.

Bubbakoos Burritos - I heard about one on John Young and Sand Lake and then I saw this location. They opened a week ago. A franchise from NJ. Needless to say that NJ and redneck does not equal quality Mexican food. They didn't even really have a redneck-y menu. So, I don't get the marketing angle. I grabbed three tacos for $10+. Ground beef. Flavorless. Typical toppings. Also bland. I had a coupon from a mailer for a free taco. Tried a carnitas. Also blase. They sell bowls and burritos and tacos and some oddities (ie something like a rice ball). Assembly line ordering. Nothing much too recommend.

I Heart Mac and Cheese - Almost the same story. More food court America. Mac and grilled cheese and tacorinos here. I believe they are from Michigan. This branch opened in May. I had the Classic Mac and Cheese bowl for $7. The spiral pasta. Some wet cheese sauce. They let you top it with superfluous slices of cheese. I picked mozz because I just didn't care. The bowl was ok. They let you top the mac or grilled cheese with meats, etc. The lobster was $20+. Not sure I'm trying lobster at a place like this. Assembly line ordering. Red, black, wood interior. Nothing much to recommend.

*Travel Notes - Northern Ireland: Bus from Dublin to Belfast Victoria Street on Air Coach was $17E. I stayed the first night in Belfast at a Travelodge for the rack rate of $99L. I came back a few nights later and stayed two nights at $98US. I took a train to Derry for $13L. Stayed at Art House for $88US. Ate cotton candy ice cream at Maiden Heaven. Chicken sandwich at Hillbilly's. Beer at Rough Brothers at a food fair. Walked the old city walls. Saw St Eugene's cathedral. Peace bridge. Cute town. Train to Coleraine for $8L. Bus to Bushmills for $3L. Saw Portrush and Dunluce Castle and Royal Portrush Golf Course on the bus. Stayed at Finn McCool's for $53 US. Saw distillery. Took tram to Giant's Causeway for $7E. Excellent. Free. Ate cod burger and cb at Hip Chip. Took bus back to Coleraine for $3L. Train to Belfast $13L. Ate blt and ff at Deane's Love Fish. Sent back their puny mussels. Ireland mussels are terrible. The main place has a Michelin star. Saw Queens College, Botanic Gardens, Ulster Museum, City Hall, Ormean Baths, Titanic Museum, Crumlin Road Gaol, Shankill Road, etc. Had honeycomb ice cream at Izabella's Delights on Shankill Rd. Cool city. Better looking people. Took bus to airport for $8L. Flew to London Stansted for $144US. Had a flight from Dublin to Heathrow cancelled. It was $114US. I learned that gnocchi means knuckles. Paul Hollywood had a show on Japan. They eat KFC for Christmas and grow things in molds (ie square melons).

No comments: