Thursday, May 25, 2023

The Dough Show, UCF Area

I tried this Egyptian restaurant Tuesday at dinner. It is behind Bacon Bitch in a strip mall on University near Alafaya. Last on the left. It opened three months ago. I tried one of their "pies". It's an oblong object with wettish, raw, phyllo dough texture. Kind of like baklava versus a pastry. I didn't love it. It's topped with mozzarella and what they call Roman cheese. Tomato and olives and peppers. Kind of bland. Heavy. Cut into squares. No sauce. I've got a bit left and will try dipping it in hot sauce tomorrow. I had "home made" sausage in mine. It was plentiful. I'm not a huge fan of beef sausage. Bland. Inferior taste. They charged $16 for it. I think this style works best with flavorful vegetable add ins. They offer many add ins (ie shwarma, pastrami and other items they carry). Eighteen sweet ones too. They round out the selection with bowls (rice or greens), wraps and apps (ie $8 hummus). It's a narrow foot print. Not much decor. Four tables. Full. Pleasant reception. The place is already getting ratty. Smudged windows near the register. Oil stained fry backsplash. Muddy trim. Things stored in plain site. What will it look like going forward? The meats on the shwarma spits also looked a bit underwhelming. I'm glad I tried it because I like to try new things. But, I wouldn't go out of my way to go back. And I thought I would. Not open on Monday.

No comments: