Sunday, November 12, 2023

Grub Crawl - Downtown: Ding Tea and Papi Smash Burger

I tried these spots on Monday at lunch. The first is near the rear of the court house. The second is on Pine Street attached to the bar called Basement. I also looked to see if Leiah or Drake had opened. They were working on Drake. I doubt Leiah will ever open. Hilton folks didn't seem to think so. 

Ding Tea - A Taiwanese chain. I only tried it because of what I wrote above. I was only going to get a beverage so I wouldn't have to at Papi.  A banh mi was only a dollar or two more, so, I did that instead. Pate and pork roll one for $7.50. Good. Took forever though. Only two people. And they had their kid splayed out in a bed behind the counter. They also sell all those stupid juices and teas. Many flavors. Probably all syrups. Perfect for grown baby's baba. They also had shrimp at $17 and cheese fries and takoyaki and popcorn chicken and a few other snacks from $8. I saw the chicken and fries. They looked ok. Portion size was ok. They probably inherited a sloppy build. Lots of poor workmanship. Like cracked floors. They tried to make it look hip. They put books on shelves, etc. It already looks dirty though. And they can't have been open for more than a few months. They might be Vietnamese. Some of the books were. It's an odd hodge podge.

Papi Smash Burger - I knew this would be overpriced mediocrity and it was. $12 for a Shake Shack/Freddy's burger. It was their cheapest too. Two, very salty paper thin patties with some cum sauce and cheese. They call it the OG. As in Ohmy God that is a rip off? And it took forever! The one drugged out, frosted hair smasher only put two patties on at a time. And he kept going for a stroll. And two people were already in the queue. The worst part was that I had to suffer through cranked up Cuban club music for the whole time. They have a few more burgers and two chickens and fries. Small footprint. Opened in March. I think from Miami. Another dud from there. They need to slash their prices in half and hire more employees. 

*I should add that I first tried (for the third time) this Pho Ga Hien Vuong that I swear The Orlando Weekly has twice said was open (as long ago as the summer). It isn't. And I thought it was banh mi place. Google says it is open every day but Tuesday from 10 am. A place to the right of it that I wrote about on July 31 2018 is. That place is called Huong Viet. Am I missing something? 

No comments: