Sunday, November 9, 2008

Korean Kitchen, Winter Park - Closed

Last night I ate at this Korean restaurant on Lee Rd. I had a mix of steamed dumplings (beef, seafood, kimchi/egg) for $12. Let me tell you that I find nothing more challenging than Korean cuisine. It's part of its appeal. It's the most quixotic food in the world. It scares you. It transports you. You seriously feel like you are a caveman eating pot luck around a campfire. That said, the dumplings were ok. They stuck to the paper at the bottom of the steamer. The beef ones were a little oily. The real meal/surprise was the vast amount of "amuse bouches" that came with the plate (18 plus a cauldron of bubling goo that became scrambled eggs and a whole fried mackeral). I can recount - kimchi, bean sprouts, eggplant, green beans, sweet black beans, papaya, sweet mashed potatos, dried shrimp, water chesnuts and nine other things I can't remember or define. The veggies were either spicy, salty, sweet or sour. At least one for every taste bud. They also served free cold barley tea. It seemed to be family run. The service was good. The place is a little hard on the eyes (very bare and a little water damaged). It smelled like soap and water when I entered. I though I had made a mistake when I was the only one seated, but, four other families (mixed race) came in after me. They have table side fires. It was clean.

I would suggest replacing some of the ceiling tiles and adding some decor. I would also hide the kerosene tanks that feed the table fires. I would landscape the front and add alot of lights to advertise that you are open. It's a little dark around the building. However, it was a good value and a (still) exciting cultural experience.

No comments: