Sunday, November 16, 2008

Udipi, Longwood - Closed

I ate at this vegetarian Indian restaurant on 17-92 on Wednesday night. Interestingly, I saw a Globe Trekker episode on the region (southern) that is home to the city of Udipi. It is an area mostly devoid of protiens, so everyone eats veggies. It is in the old Clay Oven space. I had poori (deep fried dough that puffs into a bread balloon) for $2. It was very oily. I had a fried "crepe" made out of semolina and filled with curried potatos, green chiles, and onions for $7. It reminded me of the most fried hash browns I've ever had. The portion was enormous! I can't say I enjoyed the experience because I had a sleepless night of indigestion because of it and I think I gained 4 pounds. However, it was very cheap for a sit down restaurant and it was a change from the norm. The service was polite. The place was clean. It had four other couples/families dining.

I would suggest some more ambience. Better (more eye catching) signage.

No comments: