Saturday, August 29, 2009

Pio Pio, Orlando

On August 13th I had lunch at Pio Pio on 436 on my way to the airport. It's a Latin style restaurant. I had Pork Belly with Arepa for $3.50. Now, in the last month I've had braised pork belly in the Hamptons and a Pork Belly Taco in Pacific Beach, CA. Both were far superior to this pork belly in different ways. The braised pork belly was nearly 100% eatable. Only a thin membrane in between the two halves of the pork belly was dicardable. The fried pork belly in the taco was 100% eatable. Pio's belly was 90% ineatable fat. Now I don't know if it is their style of preparation or poor execution, but, I found it too fat-centric for my taste. But, it was cheap so no harm done. I also had a steak sandwich for $5. It was monstrous. It came with lettece and tomato on a huge roll. I couldn't finish it. The prices swing wildly at this place. Some entrees are in the high teens or higher. I wouldn't pay that for peasant food. But, if you order smartly it's a good choice. The place is nice. It has a few sister establishments. It seats about 70. It was half full. The service was good. It was clean. It had appropriate decor for a Latin-themed restaurant. Give it a go.

No comments: