Friday, October 1, 2010

Mitchell's Fish Market, Winter Park

I had lunch at this Seafood restaurant in the Winter Park Village (where Beluga was) on Thursday. I had the Shang Hai Sampler (2 scallops, 2 small shrimp, salmon, sticky rice, spinach in an Asian sauce) for $14. It was a tale of two tastes. If eaten together (rice, protein, and spinach), the sauce was not overpowered. If you ate any of the pieces separately, the sauce tasted over soyed, too sweet and too savory. The proteins were a bit fishy tasting (not so fresh I guess). Which is a shame because the place seems to pride itself on that. They even sell fish to go. The sticky rice was non-descript. The spinach was plentiful but without flavor (which was fine with me because that means it didn't have a ton of calories). They gave me a fresh baked demi-loaf of bread gratis. The spot has been given a new veneer. There are models of ships in glass cases, nautical charts and maps, paintings of shells, etc. There is a bar room, a private room, a main room and the patio. It must seat 200. It was about 1/4 full. The service was good. Refills! The waiter took time out to explain the dishes. The manager asked how my meal was. They were all attired professionally in white collared shirts. They let you sub out sides. They have happy hour specials. They have sandwiches, a raw bar, daily fish specials, salads, etc. My meal was one of the more expensive lunch items. I really could find nothing wrong with the place, yet, I left without a passion for the spot. It seemed generic. Like Flemings or Stonewood or their chain competition in their strip mall - PF Changs and Brio. I'm not sure what they can do to make it seem more authentic. Which, incidentally, they may not wish to do because that other type of experience is very popular in some circles (ie here).

No comments: