Sunday, June 17, 2012

Ceviche House, Orlando - Closed

I popped in for dinner at this newly opened sister station of this Peruvian restaurant on OBT on the way back from the airport on Monday. It is on 436 in between the Beach Line and 50. I believe the original is well received. I had the Chilicano Soup (Fish broth with fish pieces) for $6. It was a huge bowl loaded with a ton of fish. I think they said it was Baca as in Bacaloa. I'm not sure what it translates to in English. It was white, light and buttery. The broth was outrageous. A meal in itself. I wish I had made it that because I was already tapped out from a trip to the Midwest where I did as many Travel Channel joints as possible (think Foie Gras dogs, Cheese curds, Brats, Juisy Lucy's, etc). I also ordered some ceviche. It is the Ceviche House after all. I ordered the Ceviche Mixto (octopus, squid, shrimp, fish) for $17. I was expecting one of those little, glass sundae containers with some poorly vinegared bait (I know it's lime juice, but, they never do it right). I received a hip, white plate with a mound of delicious seafood and red onion (enough for 4). The seafood wasn't over seared. The searing liquid was a tasty amalgamation of citrus juice and leche de tigre (dairy based). They served a sweet potato square and some Land of the Lost sized corn kernels with it. I wasn't that keen on the last two items, but, I guess it is traditional. I just don't see how they compliment the ceviche. The menu is huge. You could take a course in Peruvian cuisine here. They had chaufa (fried rice dishes), every kind of beef, chicken or seafood dish, some dishes using mashed potatoes as a base. Too many to name. I used to have no respect for South American cuisine, but, I'm gaining more respect for it. Orlando is a good place to sample the diet of most of the countries south of us. In my limited experience Peru is to South America what Japan or maybe Vietnam is to Asia. It is the best and most diverse cuisine in the region. The flavors are more subtle, complex and refined. The owner of the restaurant told me that it started with the Incas, but, the Asians, Italians, and Spanish have influenced the growth. I'm not sure who to thank. Let's thank them all. Back to the review. The place is in a sketchy neighborhood. The building is nothing to look at. The interior is very bare. It's a square room that seats about 80. There is not much for decoration save the tables. It's a dark wood color scheme. There were about 10 people there when I ate. They mostly seemed like ex-pats. It's not fancy. Nobody was dressed up. People brought their kids. They had a TV showing ESPN in the corner. The wait staff was pleasant. They probably should have known not to bring out both dishes at the same time. The menu is priced in the mid-teens to twenty. I though this might be a bit pricey for the customer base when I first looked at it and the clientele, but, it is more than reasonable when you see the portion size and quality. Just remember to reduce your order in half to adjust for the huge servings. Other than that, the only problem I can see you having at this place is choosing what sounds the most interesting. I suggest you seek either location and test what has to be the best cuisine in town of the best cuisine in South America. They even have Peruvian wine (which I was told is prodigious, but, doesn't have the distribution network of Argentina or Chile).

No comments: