Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Grub Crawl - Sanford : State Market, Great Wall, Montego Bay

All these spots are on 17-92 in or around the Seminole Town Square (think around The Barn). I ate there on Saturday.

State Market Restaurant - I had a Turkey Triple Decker Club (also available with Ham or Roast Beef) for $5.65. It came with fries. It was acceptable. The turkey was a little "loafy", but, the rest was fresh. The shoestring fries were good (hot and crisp). Service (2) was a little flustered to begin with. They were pleasant, however. The place has been in existence for over 50 years. I don't know how I missed it before now. Perhaps the unlighted "Open" sign has something to do with that. It's a small place. It seats about 40. The crowd seems very local. I think half the patrons were off duty cops. They seem like the go there regularly. The menu is diner food. Breakfasts, burgers, sandwiches and some interesting down home desserts (ie pies). They have a signature dish. It's called a breakfast boat. The place was a little dirty (unbused tables) and not much to look at. However, they must be doing something right to be in business that long. I wouldn't make a special trip for it, but, if you are in the area and you order right, I can see it being a slightly ironic hoot. They are closed on Sunday. They close at 3pm during the week and 2pm on Saturday. The menu accepts/displays ads for local businesses. I'm not sure if that is good business or tacky. This is the one place that was not in the strip mall. There is a truck depot behind it. One of the loading docks said it was a farmer's market. Maybe that will make it more enticing an option? I also overheard the customers saying that the Barn goes off with college kids on Thursday starting at 10pm.

Great Wall Chinese Food - I had a lunch special of something I think was called sliced chicken for $5. It came with fried rice and a soda. A deal. The meal was more sweet than spicy. It came with carrots, cabbage and green peppers. The fried rice was better than what I have been complaining of. It may even have been cooked that day. It was more yellow than brown, so, perhaps I avoided alot of soy/sodium. It had a sprinkling of peas, pork and onions. It was buttery. The place is Chinese take out. The menu is cookie cutter and the decor is meal signage. They say the do it "New York Style". Since it was cooked by Chinese and not Mexicans, I have to argue that point. It's probably above average for it's class. Probably something better than the neighborhood deserves. I would trade out my local purveyors for it. Not worth a special trip, but, ok.  

Montego Bay Caribbean Takeout - I had a small Jerk Chicken meal to go for $8. You have to watch out because they are sneaky genius's when it comes to pricing. They do extra small, small and large. They nailed me for the larger price. The chicken was predictable. Good spice, but, not a lot of meat and boney. It was basically a drumstick and thigh cut into hunks. It came with rice and peas. They sure looked like beans. I'm getting sick of rice so I just nibbled. It was your basic dirty rice dish (no flavor). It also came with sauteed cabbage and carrots. Not my thing. The last side was sweet plantains. They were sweet. Too much starch/carbs and once again not my thing. But, I do this for you. If you like this food then I think you will like this place. They have been open for four years. They do puffs, goat, oxtail, shrimp, ackee, saltfish, snapper, etc. They even brew some of their own drinks (sorrel and ginger beer). It has 3 seats. The decor is made up of newspaper pullouts and advertising posters pertaining to Jamaica.

No comments: