Saturday, September 21, 2013

Tortas El Rey, OBT

I had lunch (it's a drive thru) at this Mexican ex-Checkers location in between I-4 and Sand Lake on Tuesday. I had a chicken soft taco for $2 and a carnitas soft taco for $2. Fine. A little plain. Should have stopped there, but, I was starving after trying and failing to find another place and the place said it was the "king of Tortas". The Torta al Pastor I had was disappointing. I liked the roll and the toppings (mayo, lettuce, tomato, beans, etc), but, the "sweet pork" was mostly absent and tasted like bad Chinese food. They have a nice menu of sopes, hurraches, tacos, burritos, etc for a little place. It did take inexplicably long to get the food (you slap a scoop of pre-cooked meat on a bun). It's authentic. It has that going for it. Which is nice. They said it was Tijuana-style (insert donkey joke here). I wouldn't make a day of it, but, if you are in the area looking for crack whores and the crystal meth (or that new one - Molly) hasn't silenced your appetite, then by all means go for it.

No comments: