Sunday, February 16, 2014

Woody's BBQ, Lake Mary - Closed

I ate dinner at this new (one week)  BBQ restaurant in the strip mall that has Burger Fi on Friday. I had the brisket platter (2 sides) for $9. I chose mac and cheese and corn bread as the sides. It pains me to write this because the area needed a better option than Keller's and the owners are really nice and conscientious, but, they have no clue about what they are doing. I have never eaten at the other outposts under this moniker. I hope they aren't all this bad. I think it was BK that offered up some ribs at one point. This is that bad. The brisket tasted like baked ham. It was bone dry and briny. A disagreeable brine. The fat hadn't melted away. I'm not sure if the cut the use even started with any. You've heard of low and slow. This is high and dry. I was a little worried when the owner told me (in a pre-opening walk through) that he was anticipating a four hour cook time to be adequate. And I think it had a separate smoking procedure that was only an hour or so. In any event, this strategy is just insufficient in its efficacy or it hasn't been perfected it yet. I'm not sure if I'll pay another visit at a later date to find out which is true. The mac and cheese looked and tasted like the one at Publix. I'm not sure if they get it from there or they both get it from the same supplier. The cornbread also seemed like it was purchased from a supplier. They have have four sauces. The hot was awful and needed to be refilled (pump station). The sweet was bad. Both seemed store bought. The place looks like a hip BBQ joint. It's clean and professional looking. The menu is easy to read at the counter. No wait staff helps keep the outlay low. I plowed through my meal because I was afraid of being asked how I liked the food. If I had loitered, I could have watched one of the two TV's tuned to sports. The menu is fairly predictable. Pork, Turkey, Chicken and burgers. The zaniest thing is Brunswick Stew. It doesn't comport to any specific regional loyalty. It seats about fifty. There were three other tables eating around me. If you live in the area, suck up the one exit exertion and go to 4 Rivers.

No comments: